I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter

Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lesclaypool is an unknown quantity at this point
Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter

Okay, so by now, I'm so f*****g sick of cds it's rediculous.... I went to my local car audio place today and had a 20 minute conversation starting with me wanting to use my laptop to hook up to my cd player so I didnt have to use any more cds.... He told me there were other ways that were much easier...

Well to make a long story short, he told me about this USB adapter you could plug into any Pioneer cd player with the input on the back, which mine just so happend to have.... He was gonna charge me 140.00 for it, so i said screw you, and just came home and ordered one for 105.00.... I know I could've gotten one for like 95.00, but i was unsure of the seller.... Annnnnnyways, now all i have to do is go to Microcenter and by an external hard drive that is USB powered.... But my question is, will this USB adapter have enough power to "power" the external hard drive...????????

If not, I can always just buy like a 5-30 gig flash drive and just use that, but external hard drives are much better with price and space....

So what do you guys think... you think it'll be able to be powered by the USB adapter?????

Here's the USB adapter just so you can take a look.....

yep..... alright, tell me whatcha think
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Re: Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter

Ok here is the problem with this. I too wanted to do the same thing. But because a hard drive still has a moving disk inside and a needle like object to read the drive if it vibrates too much you will ruin the drive. So if you drive on public roads or you have a lot of bass. I don't think this is a good idea. The other option is to purchase a solid state HD. Then there are no moving parts. Just to give you the heads up. Also the solid state uses less power so it should work fine.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Instead of the HD, I purchased a 16G Flash Drive.

Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233042

Also the mobile electronics store that I am sponsored threw sells Kenwood radios with the USB port. They start at $129.00. The Eclipse start at $299.00

Last edited by Alpha 5; 06-06-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Red face Re: Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter

when you say solid state, do you mean like flash drive? cuz if you could find a solid state hard drive that is still around 60-200 gigs, could you tell me? i dont know how to search for a solid state drive.... and do you think you could help me find a solid state hard drive, that is powered on usb?

thanks for the response, i hope you continue to chat, cause you're pretty much the only one i've talked to so far about this......

Originally Posted by Alpha 5
Ok here is the problem with this. I too wanted to do the same thing. But because a hard drive still has a moving disk inside and a needle like object to read the drive if it vibrates too much you will ruin the drive. So if you drive on public roads or you have a lot of bass. I don't think this is a good idea. The other option is to purchase a solid state HD. Then there are no moving parts. Just to give you the heads up. Also the solid state uses less power so it should work fine.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Talking Re: Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter

Thanks for that, but I would really like to have all my music, and i have about 30 to 40,000 songs.... 16 is good, but I would really like to have all of mine, which wouldn't fit on a 20 gig ipod so yeah....

thanks tho....

You think they make the 20-30 gig flash drives yet? not that I would want one if i can find this solid state usb hard drive, but ya know, just in case i can't i'd like to have an idea of what usb flash drive i'd want.....

again, thanks....

Instead of the HD, I purchased a 16G Flash Drive.

Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233042
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

16G is the largest flash drive on the market that I know of.

"Just a couple of weeks ago Sandisk introduced a 32-GB solid-state drive. Now Samsung has one-upped them, unveiling a 64-GB solid-state drive. They are expecting to begin shipping in the second quarter of this year. Samsung says the device can read 64 MB/s, write 45 MB/s, and uses just 0.5 W when operating (0.1 W when idle). In comparison, an 80-GB 1.8-inch hard drive reads at 15 MB/s, writes at 7 MB/s, and consumes 1.5 W when either operating or idle. No pricing yet."
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

hmmm, i found out what the solid state hd's are.. those are way too small tho... i deffinitly need over 20 gigs.... 40-80 is basically what i need, but like ya....

what if i got a shock proof hard drive enclosure? i mean i drive around with my desktop, and laptop all the time and nothin goes wrong with the hard drives in them.... so yeah.... are u sure about the disturbance with the needle?
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Look what I just found.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/29/b...-pro-2-series/

Well the laptop is in the seat so. If you padded it really good then less likely to have a problem. If you just set it in the pocket under the radio is when you will have the worry.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

I just found a shock proof USB hard drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822161010

Model Brand APRICORN
Aegis Portable Model dA25-USB-80
Performance Interface USB 2.0
Capacity 80GB
Cache 8MB
RPM 5400 RPM
Average Seek Time 12ms
Physical Spec Form Factor 2.5"
Dimensions 0.7" x 3.3" x 4.7"
Weight document5.5 oz.
Features 'Convenient ultra-portable design -- take it anywhere!
Integrated USB cable for hassle free connection
100% Bus powered -- no AC adapter required -- EVER!
Extensive Shock Mounting - Protects your data with a 16-point omni-directional shock mounting system
Complete software bundle to backup, synchronize and encrypt your data
High capacity hard drive -- store your entire music collection, videos & files'));Convenient ultra-portable design -- take it anywhere!
Extensive Shock Mounting - Protects your data with a 16-point omni-directional shock mounting system
Complete software bundle to backup, synchronize and encrypt your data
High capacity hard drive -- store your entire music collection, videos & files Packaging Package Contents document.write(neg_specification_newline('80GB External Hard Drive
Driver Disk
1 x USB Y-Cable
1-Meter Extension Cable
Carrying Bag'));80GB External Hard Drive
Driver Disk
1 x USB Y-Cable
1-Meter Extension Cable
Carrying Bag Manufacturer Warranty Parts document.write(neg_specification_newline('3 years limited'));3 years limited Labor document.write(neg_specification_newline('3 years limited'));3 years limited

Last edited by Alpha 5; 06-06-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Talking Re: Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter

Hah, funny, I was looking at that same one on the microcenter webpage.... I thought it was a good price, but it's basically the same with the rebate.... hmmm this looks like one i might need to get... time to read reviews

I just found a shock proof USB hard drive.

Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

do you think i should go ahead and order this hard drive or wait until my usb adapter gets here and try out like a friends usb hard drive, or buy one at walmart to return it that very second????

I like ordering stuff on the internet, but like if its something like this where i dont know if it'll work or not, it makes me cautious, cuz yeah i dont like things not working and having to send em back.....
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Look at the specs of the adapter. Or even call pioneer tech. Then ask them if it will recognize that large of a drive. Then post back and let us know.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

i would prolly be more concerned about it powering the drive. most usb apps can provide up to 5 watts per connection though ( i think that's right...) usually the drive size is not an issue unless it has some fluke interface that requires a special driver to be loaded
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

well if that is true, i think the drive i'm gonna get takes 1.5 watts....I cant remember where i saw that, cuz i just looked on the newegg description and i dont see power usage.... but yeah..... how could i find out how many watts are put out by this usb adapter?

Originally Posted by tuningmycivic
i would prolly be more concerned about it powering the drive. most usb apps can provide up to 5 watts per connection though ( i think that's right...) usually the drive size is not an issue unless it has some fluke interface that requires a special driver to be loaded
Old 06-06-2007
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lesclaypool
Thanks for that, but I would really like to have all my music, and i have about 30 to 40,000 songs.... 16 is good, but I would really like to have all of mine, which wouldn't fit on a 20 gig ipod so yeah....

thanks tho....

You think they make the 20-30 gig flash drives yet? not that I would want one if i can find this solid state usb hard drive, but ya know, just in case i can't i'd like to have an idea of what usb flash drive i'd want.....

again, thanks....
You do know apple makes an 80 gig iPod right?
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

80 Gig iPod is 349.99, 80 GIG HD=80.99. You do the math.
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

snobird is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought the 30 dollar ipod cable for my pioneer unit and i am using a 80 gig ipod i have full length movies and about 8,000 songs

here is a 40gb flash drive
http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-Portable-Mu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

For that price might as well go with the 80.
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

WOW thank you.... no sh*t... ipods are way too expensive because of downsizing on size of the hard drive.... hint hint, look at laptop hard drive.... i think they're about double too in some cases with the newest laptops..... and now they have the tiny tiny tiny tiny hard drives like the size of a thumb... but yeah anyways, i dont want an ipod cu then i'd be tempted to use it with earphones, and i dont need that.... and i can store private stuff on it, since it will be in my car most the time....... that way no one would ever think to plug it into their computer unless they wanted song, which is why you make multiple directories.....

80 Gig iPod is 349.99, 80 GIG HD=80.99. You do the math.
Old 06-08-2007
Registered!!

BlueGinx197 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the Pioneer iPod interface... and a 80GB iPod (just bought it, upgrade from 4GB nano) So I have all my music with me... but I only have 6,500 songs... not 30,000 to 40,000. So the iPod works for me. Comparing the iPod interface to this USB option: One is that fact that you can use the MP3 player to listen to your music anywhere, anytime, including through your car stereo... the hard drive is just a hard drive by itself, and has to be hooked up to your car or to the computer.

I bought the iPod interface though Crutch field for $50, but now they have direct connect USB to the head unit... which hard drives could also be connected as well I am guessing. So these USB and iPod interface boxes are eliminated all together now.

And to the comment about listening to the MP3 player with the headphones in your car... why would you wanna do that when you have a $700(+) stereo system in your car?

Last edited by BlueGinx197; 06-08-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2007
Registered!!

i didnt mean in my car i meant anywhere.... i dont like carrying around a 200-300 dollar mp3 player when i can just use my 1 gig sony walkman.... it's the best, it gets 50 hours per charge, which is rediculous.... and yeah, i dont have to worry if i lose it so much, cuz it was like 100.00

Originally Posted by BlueGinx197

And to the comment about listening to the MP3 player with the headphones in your car... why would you wanna do that when you have a $700(+) stereo system in your car?
Old 06-10-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

I have the Pioneer DEH 6900UB where it has the USB function and I'd have to admit its the best deck I've had so far in terms of functionality. The USB jack connects to the USB plugs for my MP3 and my gf's Ipod where I can control all the songs through my deck, where I dont need to take my eyes off the road to search for songs.
I also plug in my USB flash drive and it plays instantly with song titles, albums, etc. Its so much easier than CD's whereas I can just drag and drop onto the USB.

Later on, Im planning to buy the bluetooth adapter (toys, but w/e) where I can talk through the deck via bluetooth!
Old 06-10-2007
Registered!!

Could you do me a favor.... if you happen to have a usb powered external hard drive, could u try plugging it in and telling me if it works..... my usb adapter hasn't come in the mail yet.... i'm pretty sure it works... but i mean if it doesn't i can always just buy the 16 gig flash, would would be good, but not as great as a hard drive with 100+ gigs....

i'm gonna also check out the deck you mentioned..... i mean, i dont need one with a usb on front now since i have the adapter... but i mean i guess it'd be ite to have both, but i'd feel like i didn't need to buy the adapter....

by the way... is your icon grimey!!!!!!!!!!?????????

frank grimes.... hahahah....

best part of that episode was wen it showed the flashback of his life.... and then the camera view out of the back of the car at him as a child waving, and smiling... then the car started going and he stopped and frowned..... hahahah best simpsons episode ever i think

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe
I have the Pioneer DEH 6900UB where it has the USB function and I'd have to admit its the best deck I've had so far in terms of functionality. The USB jack connects to the USB plugs for my MP3 and my gf's Ipod where I can control all the songs through my deck, where I dont need to take my eyes off the road to search for songs.
I also plug in my USB flash drive and it plays instantly with song titles, albums, etc. Its so much easier than CD's whereas I can just drag and drop onto the USB.

Later on, Im planning to buy the bluetooth adapter (toys, but w/e) where I can talk through the deck via bluetooth!
Old 06-10-2007
Registered!!

yeah, i mean that works and all..... i just dont need an ipod....

and whoa... where did you find that 40 gig flash drive.... i've always wondered why they didnt just make em bigger... i mean, ****... they're trying to keep the same size of thumb drives, yet fit 50 times more memory... they really dont understand that they could just make em bigger.... people would buy them, and then they'd have enough money to produce them in flash thumb drive sizes.....

anyways, that 40 gig one is pretty cool, but the company is a little, ehhh....

i'm not picky about companies, but look at the backround... lol, it's like woods and a lake.... sorta odd for a 40 gig flash drive.... i might buy it if i can't find any other bigger named ones.....

if you could also help that'd be great... cuz i had no idea those things even existed.... i saw a 5 gig one about 3 years ago, and it amazed me, but then its like, they just stopped makin them bigger and just kept them all at thumb drive size, which made it like 3000 times more expensive than if they woulda just made it big.....

Originally Posted by snobird
i bought the 30 dollar ipod cable for my pioneer unit and i am using a 80 gig ipod i have full length movies and about 8,000 songs

here is a 40gb flash drive
http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-Portable-Mu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-10-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

well ive researched before i bought it and waht people did was just get a dc/ac converter and run a plug off that. You can use whatever drive you want. I wanted to intergrate that into my car so i can plug up a laptop too but I havent had a need for a bigger USB drive than 4gigs...yet.
Im not too sure but I think there might be a limit on how many gigs you can read off the deck
Old 06-10-2007
Registered!!

you think so?.... i mean, see i didnt wanna even have to deal with a converter for power if i could just get a usb powered one.... i mean there'd be no point... and it seemed like the usb converter might have one built in.... i mean it might not if its only built for flash drives only.... but yeah... that 40 gig one is a flash drive in essence so it should work.... right?

and u still didnt tell me if ur icon was frank grimes......

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe
well ive researched before i bought it and waht people did was just get a dc/ac converter and run a plug off that. You can use whatever drive you want. I wanted to intergrate that into my car so i can plug up a laptop too but I havent had a need for a bigger USB drive than 4gigs...yet.
Im not too sure but I think there might be a limit on how many gigs you can read off the deck
Old 06-12-2007
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough

I was thinking the same thing about a lot of this stuff. I would just buy that $4 RCA to headphone cable and hook it up to any portable device. I understand what you are thinking about Ipods though, too expensive, too bandwagon. Never had one, never will.

Funny how you mention microcenter though, cuz I actually work there.

In the past we had these 80 gb samsung laptop HD's for about 70 bucks. You could enclose it in this apricorn hd enclosure for like 16 bucks, it'll be even smaller than an ipod video.

If you don't mind size though, we have a special this month for a 250gb external HD for 99 bucks, no rebates. There are deals around to be had anyways, but 100 bucks is a lot just to connect a USB thingy.

I just ended up buying a nice MP3 deck for 179.99, and doing MP3 discs. 130 songs a CD is plenty for me.

oh yea, one big thing about getting an external HD though is it will require a USB 2.0 compatible port, but I'm sure most of them these days are 2.0 anyways.

If you've been to the store, we have a 2 GB usb flash for 15.99, not too shabby.
Old 06-13-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesclaypool
well if that is true, i think the drive i'm gonna get takes 1.5 watts....I cant remember where i saw that, cuz i just looked on the newegg description and i dont see power usage.... but yeah..... how could i find out how many watts are put out by this usb adapter?
any external hard drive enclosure is going to have a seperate power connector. it won't be powered through the USB port. USB is 5 volts and hard drives need 12v.
Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
any external hard drive enclosure is going to have a seperate power connector. it won't be powered through the USB port. USB is 5 volts and hard drives need 12v.
As stated in my previous post, Get the USB HD. IT NEEDS NO EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY!!!!

Convenient ultra-portable design -- take it anywhere!

Old 06-13-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

As stated in my previous post, Get the USB HD. IT NEEDS NO EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY!!!!

Convenient ultra-portable design -- take it anywhere!

i was referring to using standard external drives that use 3.5" or 2.5" HDD's in a case. not USB drives. the problem with the one you posted is that the manufacturer doesn't state it's power consumption. most USB 2.0 devices are power hungry. as long as you have a high-current capable USB 2.0 port to connect to that's fine. the pioneer component doesn't say it's a high-current or USB 2.0 compliant. so i'd be weary of running a USB powered drive off it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smartest thing ever.. I think... USB adapter