Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Need assistance determining what wheel cover size I should buy.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sikka is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need assistance determining what wheel cover size I should buy.

Hello. I'm not a car person by any means but I recently became interested in making my 2012 civic look acceptable again.

My wheel covers are bent, scuffed, and make the whole car look like trash. So I found a new set on Amazon but I'm struggling to determine which size I need.

When I measure the current wheel covers' diameter, I'm getting exactly 16 inches. But, the tire itself has the code "65R15" and I've read that the number "15" in this case determines the size of the wheel cover I should get. I'm hoping to avoid the pitfalls of being uninformed, so I wanted to check with you guys and see if anyone here knows what size wheel cover I need. Including a picture of the tire in case it helps. You can get a sense for how severely I've damaged the factor covers too... >_>

Tangent, but I'm also curious when one would know it's "time" to replace the wheels entirely? I'm open to doing this if necessary.

Old 12-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Need assistance determining what wheel cover size I should buy.

you need a 15.

the tire opening is 15.
The wheel total need to be bigger than 15 to hold the tire in place. so it's like 16. We still call them "wheel to fit into 15", for the bead seat diameter is 15, and it simply would be too confusing to have 16" wheels to fit 15" wheels.
the wheel cover, well, need to cover the wheel, so.
Old 12-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Need 15" covers as Sandro said.

The rims don't need to be replaced unless they are damaged.
You can sand them and paint them if you want to make them look new
Old 12-16-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sikka
Tangent, but I'm also curious when one would know it's "time" to replace the wheels entirely? I'm open to doing this if necessary.
As soon as possible lol. No really unless there is something wrong with them (bent, rusted) there really is no reason to replace them. You can look on craigslist though and find decent OE alloy wheels for a good price used. Makes a big difference on appearance IMO.
Old 12-16-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the response all. I ordered some 15 inch covers and will probably make a project of cleaning off the rust over the holiday.
Old 12-23-2018
Registered!!

bumping this because i have a new question on the same subject.

so i got my new 15 inch covers but have since discovered that the old ones are attached to the steel wheels via the lugnuts. and i dont have the means to remove these myself. so my question is.. who do i call for assistance removing the current wheel covers? would this be something i go to autozone for or should i visit an actual garage? again im a car noob.. my old neighbor was a mechanic and a saint and would help me with all this stuff but that dude passed away in October... so hoping i can find answers here.
Old 12-23-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Your car has everything in that you need and the owners manual shows you the jack points.

Get your scissor jack and lug wrench out of the trunk.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this then a garage would be best. Maybe wait until you need tires or an oil change to save some money.
Old 12-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Your car has everything in that you need and the owners manual shows you the jack points.

Get your scissor jack and lug wrench out of the trunk.
awesome, i had no idea. gonna give this a shot when its light out. 😀 ... thanks for your assist.
Old 12-25-2018
Registered!!

bumping just to show off the massive difference and to thank you all again for the help.

my brother came through to help me get the old covers off . After cleaning the wheels and snapping on the new covers, the car looks almost as nice as it did new. very happy, thanks folks!

my brother 😀

wheels scrubbed clean with new covers!
Old 12-25-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, here's how to read tire sizes, using 195/65r15 as a reference

• First number (195) is the treadwidth in mm (195mm wide)

•Second number (65) is the sidewall profile, as a percentage of the treadwidth (65% of 195mm, so the sidewall would be 126.75mm high)

• Third number (15) is the diameter of the wheel on which the tire fits (15" rim)
Old 12-26-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Looks good
Old 12-26-2018
Prelude Owner

Looks great!! Something as little as a wheel cover can make all the difference.
Old 07-26-2019
Registered!!

colewan is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to use 15