Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Traveling long distance when braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xpain2day is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Traveling long distance when braking

I have a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe. I have recently noticed that my car travels an excessively long distance when I slam on the brakes. (I first noticed about 4 months ago.) I have owned the car for its entire life.

Please trust me when I say that the vehicle is traveling an excessive amount when I slam on the brakes at 40 mph. I did an exact comparison on the same street with a 2017 Toyota Corolla and the Corolla stopped on a dime, so to speak (within about 10 to 15 feet), at 40 mph. I'm talking about something really impressive with the Corolla. My Honda Civic, however, easily travels 10 times farther, and possibly much farther.

I do notice the ABS system kick in immediately when I slam on the breaks. The ABS system continues to pump and the car continues traveling forward.

As an fyi, in the not so distant past (within the last year or so) I had new brakes and tires put on. The tires I had put on were Continentals, and not inexpensive. The tire's life is rated at about 35-40k miles, so the rubber is not excessively hard.

I understand that the road, tires, brakes and ABS system can all affect the distance traveled. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for troubleshooting this problem. Or if someone has perhaps had a similar experience with a resolution.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Traveling long distance when braking

pop the wheels off and have a look at the brakes, they might be worn out
hows the brake fluid level in the reservoir?
Old 05-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xpain2day is an unknown quantity at this point

Posting this again, in case my first attempts haven't gone through. I'm a newb, so not sure how long my message takes to post.

The brakes are in great shape. All four were replaced in November 2017. I didn't think about the fluid levels. Will definitely take a look once I get the car back.

Seems highly coincidental that this started to happen after the brake job. Wondering if there is anything about installing new brakes that would cause this to happen.
Old 05-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

That's why i told you to look at them and see if there's a problem...
Old 05-08-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

take it back to the place that did the brake change.

and if you have been having the ABS kick in immediately after pressing the brakes for 4 months, I recommend you start worrying about it more... something is messing with the ABS. you should have taken it in, in the first days, not months later...

could be something simple, like a ABS sensor knocked off position during the brake job. or pinched brake hose. Heck, when i put tires with different OD in the rear, ABS went crazy.

or some other crazy thing.

anyway, whoever changed the brakes could have screwed something up.
usually it would ahve been air in the system, so i would say bleed the system. but the ABS kicking in is even stranger.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-08-2018 at 09:23 PM.