Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

2014 Civic EX with F/R Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coach_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Civic EX with F/R Disc Brakes

Have 75000 km (46,000 miles) on car. Front brake pads still have 70% remaining (per dealer service). Rear pads are finished. Discs were damaged and replaced. Every other car I have had including 2006 Toyota Corolla had rear drum brakes lasting 250,000 km (155,000 mi). Are other Honda owners getting same results with F/R disc brakes? From experience I was watching front wear, not rear and missed this. Big mistake.
Old 07-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Civic EX with F/R Disc Brakes

Most of Hondas DRUM brakes could last as long as the car IMO.

Disc brakes are a completely different story. You can't just assume and not inspect regularly.

FWIW there are plenty of vehicles out there that use drum brakes that do wear just as fast as the front disc brake pads.....
Old 07-29-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I swapped in disc brakes in my 2002's rear end at ~40k miles. Almost at 200k miles now, and I've replaced the rear pads... once? maybe twice?
Old 07-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I swapped in disc brakes in my 2002's rear end at ~40k miles. Almost at 200k miles now, and I've replaced the rear pads... once? maybe twice?
Vs. how many sets of front pads?

Plus, yours is converted from drums. Is the proportioning right for rear disc? (I've not researched this)
Old 07-29-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

lotsa pads. lol. admittedly, i am not running the EP3 proportioning valve
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
george.quinones is an unknown quantity at this point

I experience my brakes locking up. car stopped in the middle of the road. 1/2 hour before I can force move it to the side of the road. put on the new pads got home (about 7-miles) to the brakes locking up again, rotors red hot again. I bleed the brakes, took out again, and they began to slow the car down, I immediately returned home before they locked up on me. I then changed the Brake Fluid lines, bleeded the system, and the same problem continued, I then changed the master cylinder, change the rotors, and again the problem continued. I examined everything I had done, new pads, rotors, fluid lines, master cylinder, callipers and couldn't figure out what my problem was. I did a booster inspection by pressing on the brake, turning on the car and checking for the booster to work by observing the brake pedal slightly move. I search for the ABS system but the only line going into the brake system is the fluid line and nothing more. Does anyone know where my problem is.