Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Winter rims/tires for 2012 EX sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter rims/tires for 2012 EX sedan

What are you guys running for winter rims and tires?

I live in a hilly area of MA.

I'm considering a pair of winter tires for the front of my civic.
The car is completely stock with healthy all season tires.

The car basically stinks in winter conditions. With or w/o traction control things could be better. Add the low ground clearance and traction becomes disappointing quick. When it comes to winter traction, my previous FWD cars could run away and hide.

Has anyone ever swapped over to a 15 inch steel wheel from maybe an LX or DX?

Do the tire pressure sensors fit and work on 15 inch wheels?

I'm not convinced that changing tire and wheel size only on the frontend will be a recipe for disaster if things are "close enough". I've driven sensibly for 35 years w/o any incidents.

Tire stores only want to sell my 4 matching tires. In no time we are up to like $700-$800 and I don't see this being practical.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 12-03-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Winter rims/tires for 2012 EX sedan

I would recommend getting 4 tires. Yes the front tires move the car so you don't get stuck but all 4 help stop it.

Maybe you can find a set of steel wheels from a junk yard for cheap.
Old 12-03-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have stock 15" Civic steel wheels for winter, and 18" for summer....

Sensors are the same and will fit, but there may be issues with corrosion when one attempts to take them apart.

My preference would be to get 4 new blank aftermarket tire pressure sensors, "clone" them to match the four original sensors, install into the winter wheels.

This way you dont have to deal with (pay$)having the sensors relearned to the car every time you bolt on the other set.
Old 12-03-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
I would recommend getting 4 tires. Yes the front tires move the car so you don't get stuck but all 4 help stop it.

Maybe you can find a set of steel wheels from a junk yard for cheap.
The car stops fine in the winter conditions with the current all season tires.

Unless a vehicle is all wheel drive, I'm not convinced that having unmatched tires aren't going to be a problem. I started driving back when cars were mostly RWD and it was required to get a pair of "snow tires". I mean these things kind of reminded us of tires you'd see on a farm tractor. Some were even studded. They never hurt anyone unless you got under foot.

Thanks for the input!

Dave
Old 12-03-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I started driving back when cars were mostly RWD
I too grew up with rear wheel drive and manual transmissions. And plenty of snow.

Even with front wheel drive, you still want equal traction or better traction on the rear of the car. See below.

I'm considering a pair of winter tires for the front of my civic.
The car is completely stock with healthy all season tires.

The car basically stinks in winter conditions.
I think 4 matching winter tires would be the prudent choice. If not winters or M&S, then all-season tires (but you already have those, and they apparently stink). But 4 good matching tires nonetheless.

If not for keeping the ABS-TCS-VSA systems happy, then for better directional control in any 'less than desirable' traction situation.
Those safety systems can only do so much...if the tires don't have good traction, things can still get hairy in a hurry.

------

At one point in my life I had a FWD Olds Calais for a winter beater..... One winter I ran snows on the front with regular tires on the back.
It would accelerate pretty good in the snow, it was fairly ok and mostly controllable if I had a lot of room and plenty of time to slow down.......BUT if I jabbed the brake pedal too hard the back wheels would lock and the rear of the car would get all fishtaily-pants crappingly-slideways.
We all know this never happens until the worst possible moments.
I spun it more than once trying to slow down quick. (yes I know about modulating the brake pedal, but once it starts sliding sideways, it's all over)

It all boils down to this, and this is the same reason most shops (legal departments) recommend the brand new pair of tires be installed on the rear of the car instead of the front: Front tires sliding (usually plows in a straight line) is easier to control than rear tires sliding (fishtail/wipeout).

Oh yea, my current car is a 12 Civic sedan.