Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Best place to buy OEM tires and increase mpg?

Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SidCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best place to buy OEM tires and increase mpg?

Hi Civic Friends!

I have a 2015 Honda Civic LX Sedan CVT Automatic 1.8 Liter 4 cyclinder, live in sunny San Diego, California, and drive 80% highway miles. I am on track to hit 25k miles per year. My car came with Firestone Affinity Touring S4 all-season tires w/ specs P195/65R15 89H & a recommended 30 PSI cold tire pressure.

1. What is the best place to buy (dealer, Honda.com directly if that's even possible, Amazon, major online or retail store, etc) factory stock OEM tires, lug nuts, wheels, and wheel covers?

2. Would putting on any other type of tires besides the default OEM ones give me a 2+ mpg boost in my fuel efficiency?

Sorry for any silly questions. First new Honda and trying to treat it right. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Best place to buy OEM tires and increase mpg?

any tire or auto shop really, should be able to order you any tire you want, if they don't stock them,

generally speaking the more "sticky" a tire is the faster it will wear and give a bit less fuel economy, but "sticky" means better grip/traction,

if you go for a "touring" type tire, you will get better fuel economy, but the trade off is less/poor traction,

there are positives and negatives to any tire out there, personally speaking i use all season economy tires, its a civic and im not driving it like a race car
Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

they also make "low rolling resistant tires" that are suppose to see take less energy to roll. so therefore saving gas, not sure how effective they would be.
Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another consideration here is your tire pressure, regardless of the specific type of tire. I have always run my tires a bit over inflated for a couple of reasons. First, this decreases the rolling resistance and theoretically gives you better fuel economy. Second, if you forget to air up your tires in a timely manner, you have more time before they deflate to a lower number. For 35 max PSI tires, I will inflate them to about 38. For 44 PSI tires, I'll take them to about 48. I've never had tires wear prematurely doing this. Does this give you a 2 MPG increase? Probably not, but it will make you feel like it
Old 10-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ken4444
Another consideration here is your tire pressure, regardless of the specific type of tire. I have always run my tires a bit over inflated for a couple of reasons. First, this decreases the rolling resistance and theoretically gives you better fuel economy. Second, if you forget to air up your tires in a timely manner, you have more time before they deflate to a lower number. For 35 max PSI tires, I will inflate them to about 38. For 44 PSI tires, I'll take them to about 48. I've never had tires wear prematurely doing this. Does this give you a 2 MPG increase? Probably not, but it will make you feel like it
tires should be inflated according to the car, not the tire itself, you should never go by what is written on the tire, that is just an absolute maximum pressure, you should inflate your tires according to the sticker on your car
The following users liked this post:
Daylongdriiver1 (11-13-2023)