Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

grinding noise from brakes when locking up

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booman311 is an unknown quantity at this point
grinding noise from brakes when locking up

im not a brake man just know a little. when im in sand or wet road and i apply my brakes hard they make a grinding noise. this morning i came to a stop sign and brakes made this grinding noise then brakes disengaged. is this a caliper issue or abs or something else. please help. thanks 2006 honda civic lx
Old 04-03-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: grinding noise from brakes when locking up

You might want too take off the wheels and inspect the brake pads
for wear. if there close to the steel shim its time to replace them and
possibly the disc-rotor too.
Old 04-03-2015
Registered!!

booman311 is an unknown quantity at this point

pads are fine. just replaced them. rotors are ok
Old 04-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Is it very loud? Could be just dirt flying up from the wet road and sticking in between the pad and the rotor.
I had a rock get hung between my pad and rotor on my '06 and it sounded like a wheel was coming off...I'd imagine even a little grit could cause somewhat of a grinding noise.

If possible, the next time it happens, hop out(as log as it is safe to do so) and inspect the rotor and pad for dirt build up?

Just an idea, I'm sure someone with more brake knowledge will be in to help eventually.
Old 04-04-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

does it sound like a loud grind/rumble? My guess is its ABS activating, and it's a normal sound. First time I had to stomp on my brakes and my ABS kicked in, it freaked the hell out of me.
Old 04-06-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by booman311
pads are fine. just replaced them. rotors are ok
oh really what kind did you use ? did you do it yourself. or shop
installed them?

did my brakes in the front 3 weeks ago using ATE Pads and wagoner
brake rotors. very pleased with them.
Old 04-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Abs.
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

george.quinones is an unknown quantity at this point

I experience my brakes locking up. car stopped in the middle of the road. 1/2 hour before I can force move it to the side of the road. put on the new pads got home (about 7-miles) to the brakes locking up again, rotors red hot again. I bleed the brakes, took out again, and they began to slow the car down, I immediately returned home before they locked up on me. I then changed the Brake Fluid lines, bleeded the system, and the same problem continued, I then changed the master cylinder, change the rotors, and again the problem continued. I examined everything I had done, new pads, rotors, fluid lines, master cylinder, callipers and couldn't figure out what my problem was. I did a booster inspection by pressing on the brake, turning on the car and checking for the booster to work by observing the brake pedal slightly move. I search for the ABS system but the only line going into the brake system is the fluid line and nothing more. Does anyone know where my problem is.