Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Weird? brake pad wear

Old 01-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mig21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird? brake pad wear

I've replaced my front brake pads and rotors on my 2010 EXL. All went well (except had to drill out one of the screws holding the rotor in, hope that won't be an issue).

There is one thing that I thought was very strange. The wear on the pads is completely random. All 4 pads are different and even if I look carefully at one pad the wear is uneven. Have a look:

Anybody know why that is? I don't recall such differences when I did the same work on a 2009 DXA.

I let a bit of brake fluid out with someone's help, there were no bubbles in it.

The pads at the bottom are from the driver's side, but I'm definitely not a heavy guy.
Old 01-25-2015
Registered!!

Re: Weird? brake pad wear

Oh, since I already asked about these brakes. Anyone know why on this car the rotors were practically welded to the.. what do you call the other side.. with rust, took a lot of hammering to get them off, but on the 2009 I just took them off with no effort? Is that because of the fancy rims on the 2010 versus the black ones on the 2009? Or just an extra winter?
Old 01-25-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Did you get a letter from Honda about early brake wear and changed part # ???

My 2010s fronts made it 75k

What was mileage when changed ??

Got a rock inside rotor and friend had to remove that screw. It's not required. Rust will cause binding often.
Old 01-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly uneven wear is not uncommon.
Yours doesn't appear out of the ordinary IMO

Stuck pads are common in the rust belt and can result in drastically uneven wear.
Sticking slide pins are also common, I free them up and relube with Silicone grease. I wire wheel any rust off the pins if necessary and inspect the rubber boots.

I make sure all 4 of the new pads will move freely on the bracket, and if that means I have to peel the clips off the ends of the bracket and grind out the rust with a sanding disc or a flat file, I do it.
Wire wheel the stainless steel clips free of rust.

I then apply a protective coat of moly grease to the freshly exposed iron surfaces before assembling the clips to it.

In Canada, all of this might be part of routine brake maintenance. Clean out the rust every couple years so you can get some decent brake life.
Old 01-25-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mig21
Oh, since I already asked about these brakes. Anyone know why on this car the rotors were practically welded to the.. with rust, took a lot of hammering to get them off,
Just rust.

what do you call the other side..
The hub.
Old 01-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

My 2006 needed the front pads changed at about 40k miles, put on advanced auto parts "best" pad, still going at 120k miles.
Old 01-27-2015
Registered!!

dernp is an unknown quantity at this point

Uneven pad wear can be attributed to sticking caliper slides. You need to service the brakes especially if you live in the rust belt.
Old 02-03-2015
Registered!!

Cool,thanks everyone. It has about 90k on it, the new brakes feel so much nicer.

I wire wheeled everything I thought touches anything important and coated some stuff (like the hub) with T9 and brake grease in the normal places. Unfortunately my T9 can ran out of aerosol so I used WD40, which isn't nearly as good.

Where's the rust belt? Haven't heard that one before
Old 02-03-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mig21

Where's the rust belt? Haven't heard that one before

Any area that uses salt to treat roads in winter.

I myself despise the brine pre treatment.
Old 02-03-2015

Originally Posted by CraigW
I myself despise the brine pre treatment.
I think brine probably does more damage than plain salt.
Old 02-03-2015

If you happen to catch that stuff still wet, look out !!