Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Do tires always make noise just before losing traction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Do tires always make noise just before losing traction?

I recently upgraded my tires to a sport tire.
With my old tires I would notice a very quiet squealing coming from them that let me know that I was getting close to their limit.
But with these new tires I have yet to hear any tire squeal...
There is an on-ramp near my house that is a perfect sweeping turn.
My old tires I could hit about 55 before hearing the squealing, but yesterday I hit 65 with no sound at all.

So my questions is, do tires always make noise before losing traction, or is it possible for me to lose traction without hearing any noise first?
I don't have a death wish and don't want to push it any further until I find out(I might not push it any further anyways;65 is crazy fast for the ramp in the first place)

***The on-ramp is completely free of trees, allowing me to see the entire ramp and highway at all times, and I have slowly increased my speed by 2 mph increments, the only person I am endangering is myself***
Old 08-05-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Do tires always make noise just before losing traction?

Yes it is possible to loose traction and not hear any squealing. Having the tire squeal before breaking loose is a desirable trait to have in a tire. The same issue you are having now (can't determine how hard the tire can be pushed) is the reason why you want it to tell you when it's loosing grip. Some tires are better then others. My Kumho's were not that bad but my BFG's are better. They start out with a quite squeal then work there way up.
Old 08-05-2013
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

I actually have Kumhos on now.
The sign on the on-ramps says 35 though, so I probably won't push it any further.

I need to find a local track to go to just for fun sometimes, alas they are few and far between.
Old 08-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The Kumho's I had were not bad. They were an all season tire and now I have strictly summer tires so it may not be a fair comparison. For the price I think Kumho's are good.

Yea, there are not any tracks around me, I have to travel a little ways to get to one.
Old 08-07-2013
Registered!!

I've got 4 that are within 30 minutes of me...
But all of them are dirt, don't think my car would do so well there lol.
Old 08-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

find an scca autoX nearby?
that's where i test my tires... safer environment to push them.