Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Rims width that can fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TryllZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Rims width that can fit ?

Hi,

What is the maximum width rims size that can fit on a Honda Civic FD Asian Edition of Civic [ http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...L_sedan_01.jpg ] without any modification required or when lowering the car by 2inches.

I'm planning to add 9.5 inches wide to get that staggered look, will go without any rubbing on any fenders, specially rears ?

Thank You
Old 03-10-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Rims width that can fit ?

7.5"? and correct offset? with luck?
Old 03-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TryllZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
7.5"? and correct offset? with luck?
Thanks for the reply,

somebody told me the front ones can take up to 8.5 inches, true ?

But how about the rears, cause but after seeing the below, I doubt it ?

http://numproduce.com/shop/n/numprod...23104646_b.jpg

Thank You
Old 03-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... 7 inch with a 45 offset is about the maximum you want to go. 8 inches is acceptable if youve rolled the fenders. But you will still rub on the bumper bolt. Stick with 7" rims if you don't want any body work.
Old 03-11-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

careful, blueem2, he have a 8th gen
Old 03-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops I did miss that thanks Sandro.
Old 03-12-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

THis is not my post So thanks to Jeshua...

Read The entire first post before asking a question
This thread is in response to "will these wheels fit my car" threads and hopes to answer any and all questions. Although, if you have a truly perplexing question, you may need to purchase your wheels and tires of choice and show us how you made it work. In most cases its not a "will this fit", but How do I make this fit? Most people on these forums have extremely safe fitment and wonder if it will fit.

Any offset close to stock will be laughed at. Here are the main things considered while looking to see if a wheel/tire combination will fit inside of your fenders:
-What suspension / height you are at (different suspensions will take up different space than others)
-What size tires / brand (Different tires the same "width" (225) will have different specifications)
-What width wheels you have
-What offset your wheels are
-What modifications you have done to your fender
-What your camber settings are

Offset
Increasing offset (higher number) will result in your wheel becoming more inset and move towards your car. Decreasing your offset (lower number) will make your wheels more flush with your fender. Here are some pretty safe numbers to run:
Diam. (17 or 18)" x 7" ET: 25-55
Diam. (17 or 18)" x 8" ET: 30-50
Diam. (17 or 18)" x 9" ET: 35-45

An offset of 25mm will be a lot more desirable while 55 obtains a "sunken in" look.. which isn't nearly as appealing. I had 17x7+55 on my car while I was lowered 2" and had problems rubbing on my aftermarket struts while another member had no trouble running them because their suspension was different. an offset in the middle would be extremely safe.
The closer you get to 25mm offset, the more camber and skinnier tires you would want to run.
Camber is the angle that your wheel creates with a line perpendicular with the ground. Negative camber will make the top of your wheel sit inside your fender more and will give you more room to have more offset or have wider tires.
There are two ways that offset can affect the actual build of a wheel. Sometimes it will increase the mass on the back of the face of the wheels (like adding a spacer, which is strongly discouraged unless they're properly installed like H&R or kics) or the face of the wheel goes closer to the middle (if decreased from a positive offset) thus giving a larger lip. Not all wheels and manufacturers are the same and depends on not only width but manufacturer and particular wheel. These charts can be usually found on a manufacturer's website.
Camber
When I had LESS camber (smaller negative number) my wheels sat a lot more flush than when I had more camber (larger negative number) as to where I now want more aggressive wheels (both wider and lower offset).
Camber has a negative cogitation with camber wear. If you properly rotate your tires they should not decrease the life of your tires too badly. Toe is what you want to make sure you dont have.
Tires
Tire width is something that most people dont mess with, they let their STUPID tire shop decide and then they have stupid sized tires on their car that they probably overpaid for.
It is RECOMMENDED for each sized tire below:
7" Width: 215
8" Width: 225
9" Width: 235

Although, you may move about tire sizes depending on the particular tire. SOME 235 tires will fit on a 7" wheel but not necessarily inside of your wheel space, just like some 235 tires will not fit on your wheel.
Here's a link thats helpful in tire sizes and wheel sizes:
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

Another option that allows you to run lower offset wheels / wider wheels is stretching tires. Its not as safe but some like the look. Images of different stretches can be found here:
TyreStretch.com - Image Library

Lug nut information
Aftermarket lugs are made for aftermarket wheels. Not only for "wheel safety", because nobody wants your rotas, but because the seating on the inside of the bolt is correct. Stock wheels have a ball seat while aftermarket wheels have a conical seat. Dont be a DUMBASS and put aftermarket lugs on your stock wheels, otherwise when you make a thread asking why your wheel fell off, I'll point at this thread and laugh.. then say sorry. If you do have a stock spare or steelie spare in your trunk but aftermarket wheels make sure that you keep stock lugs in your trunk.