Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Vibration while braking at highway speeds

Old 01-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrobat is an unknown quantity at this point
Vibration while braking at highway speeds

This maybe be rather obvious but I just want to make sure my thinking is correct before I waste my time and money fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed.

I have an '06 civic lx, front rotor brakes and rear drum brakes. With about 110,000 miles on it.

Several months ago I was getting a vibration while braking, I had gotten the car about a year before hand and it had new brake pads all the way around. Being that the pads had more than half it's life still in them I just changed out the rotors, took it for a quick drive and found that the vibration was gone. My wife drove the car for a few months then when I drove it I noticed the vibration was back, she said," it never went away." But I know it did because I tested it.

Current state of the car is: Vibration while braking at 40+ in the brake pedal and slight movement/vibration in the sterring wheel.

I want to say that its the rotors but I had just replaced them only a few months ago.

Could the warped rotor warp the pads and when I replaced the rotor did something to the new rotor?
I was looking in the maitnance manual and it said it could be a wheel bearing but is only showed how to replace the rear, is there no front or did I not see it?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vibration while braking at highway speeds

Thoughts....

Installation errors:
Cheapo "white box" made in China rotors
Improperly tightened lugnuts
Rust buildup between the rotor and its hub (on the face of the hub).
Low quality pads that don't dissipate heat properly

Overheating the brakes:
Mountainous driving using improper downhill techniques
Expressway speed too frequent stops
Ol' lady is a race car driver and overheating the brakes
Also, see overloading of the car.
("Blued" rotors are usually easily seen.)

Storage and moisture:
"Lot Rot", a rust outline in the shape of the brake pad(s) that results from rusting of the rotors, usually happens when the car sits for a long period, but also can happen in just a day if conditions are right (or wrong, whatever). Rain, washing the car, dew, and just plain humidity can do it.

Investigate carefully.
Old 01-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the car manufacturers recommend using an On-Car brake lathe to resurface rotors. Eliminates many variables.
Old 01-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STIKILLA is an unknown quantity at this point

My Reccomendation, seeing as i see problems like this everyday.
don't cheap out go for good pads and rotors and replace both at the same time. or if you really really must get the rotors machined. but in your case for the time being i would stick it with option one and replace pads and rotors on the front and i guaranteee the vibration will be gone as long as you do them right.