Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Tires keep exploding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayluis10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tires keep exploding.

So I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX with 220XXX miles. I've had it for 4 years and I only had minor problems here and there. However, in the last several months I have had to get 5 used tires. All of a sudden the car is exploding tires out of nowhere. It's usually the passenger side tires too.

Yesterday the car randomly began to hop so I drove the car straight home and took the tire off before it could flatten. Upon doing this I noticed that the car hopped because of a hump that had formed on it.

Is there any particular reason why this is happening? Do any of you know a solution?

The pictures below show the hump.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1954-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	83824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416-1-1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	83825  
Old 08-05-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Tires keep exploding.

Have you ever gotten an alignment? From how the tires are wearing it doesn't look like it.
Old 08-05-2012
Registered!!

Kayluis10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, not too many times. Do you think i'll have to get four new tires before I get an alignment.
Old 08-05-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Get 4 new tires, an alignment, and have whoever does the alignment check your suspension components for wear.

Edit: you could get away with just front tires but you should get your alignment checked. Tire pressures can cause uneven wear also.

Last edited by GolNat; 08-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

Staying on the topic do you guys suggest having Nitrogen air filled in brand new Bridgestone Potenza tires (from Costco) and have RoadForce alignment for a 03 civic ex 4dr.

this maybe dumb question but, i would like to know if a 185/65/15 tire would fit on a spare wheel available for 03 civics. Where do you get spare tires from?
Old 08-05-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

are the tires hot after driving?
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

did you ask me gearbox? no im told nitrogen fill is awesome on new tires?
Old 08-06-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a picture of inside and outside of rim,
My best guess is a bent/damaged rim.

on the nitrogen topic.
The only benefit I see to nitrogen filled tires is that they don't leak.
That's about it.
Old 08-06-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ +1 on the wheel potential issue. could be other suspension problems, thoughm, but wheel is more likely
nitrogen - they will leak the same, but they keep pressure even if temps do change.
Old 08-07-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nitrogen is a scam for stupid people pretty much. air is already mostly nitrogen anyway. yeah you might go longer without having to put air in the tires, but when you do need to, you have to go back to whatever shop and have them do it. i would much rather fill my own tires whenever i feel like it. you should not be losing more than 1psi a month anyway in constant temps.