Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Brake Rotor screws

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lespaul5895 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Rotor screws

I've replaced brakes many times before. I get into the rear brakes on my 07 civic and there are this screws holding the rotor on. I look online at what needs to be used to get those off as they were pretty rusty. I found that I'd need an impact driver, so I went out and bought one.

The stupid thing worked on one side the drivers side but on the passenger side it stripped the screw heads and I can't get them out to save my life. I'm thinking of just drilling them out but I've never done anything like that before so I just need to know what you guys think I should do.
Old 12-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Brake Rotor screws

Gotta hate when something like this happens, a simple job suddenly becomes (or at least feels) much larger and more challenging.

If it's severely stripped you can use either ez-outs or drill the head out. The heads on those screws are very deep though so they're difficult to completely strip, I would hammer a slightly oversized drill bit into the head and use an electric drill or impact driver to try and remove it first.
Old 12-14-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I just drilled mine out when I changed my rotors.. When I tried to get them out, no amount of liquid wrench/WD-40/divine intervention would break those screws loose. All they do is hold the rotor to the hub, and I figured if the lug nuts did their job correctly, it'll do the same.. I googled it, and others have said it's fine, and it's held up fine so far.
Old 12-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Mine came out but, they were a severe pain. I didn't put them back in. If my wheel falls off I'm F'ed anyways. lol
Old 12-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicexracer will become famous soon enough

Just drill them out. They aren't necessary so don't bother putting them back in. I have an impact driver to get these out but I never out them back in. The lug nuts hold everything on so don't worry about it. Like the above said, if your wheel falls off, you have bigger things to worry about lol.