Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

brake fluid contamination

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awad-Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
brake fluid contamination

Can anyone give me a clue?

My Honda Civic had a brake alert few weeks after first servicing in a licensed garage.
when towed to the garage, they found the braking system is totally out of order, presumabl because of wrong brake fluid

I sent the fluid for analysis, and hte results are that some motor oil got in. I am sure it was done mistakenly at the garage, when someone added motor oil instead of brake fluid, to make up hte level.

THe garage claims this could not have happened, becasue hte car would stop imediately; I think that if they added only a little motor oil (enough to make up for hte loss, but not a total changeover) hte harmful result of motor oil in the brake system would appear only after several weeks, and several cycles of fluid recycles.

can this be?
how can I prove it?
thanks - Awad.
Old 04-26-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: brake fluid contamination

Wait. Someone put motor oil in the brake fluid reservoir??!?!? That isn't good, dude. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'd assume that because the oil is thicker, it would clog up the lines. Usually when that light comes on, the fluid is either low or the disc brake pads are getting to the end of their life.
It's gonna be tough to prove.
Old 04-26-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for a lawsuit, it's gonna be pretty hard to prove

But if I were you, i'd just flush the system a couple times
Old 04-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Garage? ...
I suppose you went to canadian tires?
Old 04-30-2011
Registered!!

krikey is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be cavitation. I'm by no means a master mechanic when it comes to cars or any piece of equipment in general. But, contaminants are the number one cause of cavitation, and that will flat eat a piece of steel, down to nubs. The tiny contaminants cause rough spots on metal surfaces that attract tiny air bubbles. The air bubbles will eat up said part. Its seen often with boat wheels. Smack the concrete with the wheel once putting it on the trailer, and that creates wear, which gives a foothold for the fluid to start pushing on... The same principle applies to anything hydraulic. You would have no luck in proving it, but google cavitation, and see if you see anything familiar. Just a thought...