Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Front right squeal 2014 civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Pierce is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Front right squeal 2014 civic

My stepdaughters 2014 Civic has developed a squeal in the front right wheel. It is more prevalent when the wheel is turned left, virtually not there when turning right. It does also squeal when going straight, and does go away when braking. The car has 34000 miles on it. I changed the brake pads today, even though they did not need it done, and this did not solve the problem. The backing plate also does not appear to be the issue. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front right squeal 2014 civic

You describe conditions I'd associate with brakes.....maybe the stainless clips in the caliper bracket have shifted, making contact with the rotor?

Noise might actually come from the rear? Did you (or someone else) stick your head out of the window to determine front or rear?
Double check those rear pads?

A 2014 with 34k, is it still under bumper to bumper warranty? (if the noise is not caused by worn brake pads)
Old 01-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim Pierce is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, I have eliminated brakes as a cause when I changed the pads today, which come with the anti rattle clips. And the fact that the squeal goes away when applying the brakes. The squeal is present when turning the wheel to the left, but not the right.
Old 01-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

which come with the anti rattle clips
You mean the shims attached to the back of the pads?

I meant the end clips in the brackets--'pad retainers' in the image below
See pic (googled a basic brake setup, NOT Honda):

Have you raised the wheels off the ground and let them spin to see if it will make noise in the air? That should make things easier to find.

And the fact that the squeal goes away when applying the brakes
Still seems to be brake related. Doesn't have to be pads per se, but still related to brakes.
Old 01-12-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Stuck rock between rotor and shield....?