Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Front wheel positive camber

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerose91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Front wheel positive camber

I replaced the clutch iny 06 EX recently and now it seems I have a slight positive camber in both front wheels- of equal degree. Now, I have no idea if that was there before but I assume it wasn't because the car doesn't handle as well now. Plus, positive camber shouldn't be there, right?
I went to adjust it but I can't find any sort of camber adjustment on the front suspension. I moved the hub in as far as I can on the strut pinch bolts and it helped slightly but still not zero. I assume this isn't the subframe because both wheels are equally positive. What could this be? Ball joints? Bushings? Did I install something wrong?
Old 01-14-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Front wheel positive camber

take it to alignment shop
Old 01-14-2019
Registered!!

How does a shop reduce front camber? I didn't see anything adjustable
Old 01-14-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

they can find what is wrong (or not).
But it's another set of eyes, which is better than blind internet eyes (we are struggling to find an obvious cause here)
Old 01-14-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and now it seems I have a slight positive camber in both front wheels- of equal degree.
Do you realize this might be within acceptable specifications?
(depends on how much of course)
Old 01-14-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Do you realize this might be within acceptable specifications?
(depends on how much of course)
admittedly i don't know what the wheels were before i did the clutch because i didn't pay attention to it but should a car ever have a positive camber for normal alignment? It's not extreme but noticeable. 10-12 degrees maybe?
Old 01-14-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aerose91
admittedly i don't know what the wheels were before i did the clutch because i didn't pay attention to it
Since camber isn't adjustable, as you stated, then how could you have changed it while doing the clutch job?
but should a car ever have a positive camber for normal alignment?
Yes, if that's what the engineers specify

It's not extreme but noticeable. 10-12 degrees maybe?
If your fronts are 10-12 degrees positive....then how far in do you think the rears are leaning?
Old 01-15-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

maybe you should post a picture...as mentioned, hard to diagnose with only words...
2-3 deg is visible, 10 is outrageous...
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

this is the best photo i can get. Maybe it's not 10 deg, i was just guessing but it's noticeable.

When i got the car the rear wheels had a decent amount of negative camber to the point of the tires being significantly more worn on the inside. Is a positive camber in the front and negative in the rear a normal setup for the civic?
Old 01-15-2019

Originally Posted by Aerose91
this is the best photo i can get
Pic is not showing what I wanted to see

Is a positive camber in the front and
Front camber spec on that particular car is 0*, +/-30'
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Pic is not showing what I wanted to see

Front camber spec on that particular car is 0*, +/-30'
i can snap another one. What are you looking for
Old 01-15-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

one side per pic.

best way is to compare the tire angle with the body/ground. Trying to get both sides with one pic introduces distortions that will make hard to see the angles...

the car next is better, but shallower angle

the inside of the tires are wearing fast - I suspect you might have toe issues as well.
Old 01-16-2019
Registered!!

I put the T square down to try and use a little reference. I did a 600 mile trip to DC and back yesterday and they seem to be a little better now actually. The inner tire wear is from the negative camber in the back- when i got the car these tires were in the rear and wore considerably more on the inside. I rotated them and put the rear camber back closer to neutral, though i did like the increased handling of the negative!
Old 04-27-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes after jacking up the front of the vehicle and then letting down the tires will look as if the camber has changed. It is not till after the car is driven then it will look "normal" again