General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

How to start a manual without the clutch depressed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerose91 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to start a manual without the clutch depressed

I have an 06 EX and the clutch was on its last legs anyway but i let my mother drive it and now it's shot. Wont disengage, pedal has zero pressure behind it and the fork on the slave cylinder is stuck engaged. So, time for a new clutch but it's the middle of winter and I'd rather not do it till spring.

i want to get some fuel additive in there for the time it will be sitting but the car wont start now. I thought there was a clutch position switch on the pedal so i disconnected it and tried to start it with the car in neutral but it didn't work. Any way to get this thing started?
Old 12-18-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: How to start a manual without the clutch depressed

you probably need to bridge the contacts on the connector
Old 12-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerose91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Clever. So the top wiring harness on the clutch pedal is the position sensor, right?
Old 12-18-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

no idea, your car is newer than the one i had
how many switches do you have on the pedal? one or two?
on the older civics there was two, one for starting and the other was for cruise, and one of them is really high up
not sure what they use on the newer ones.
The switch has normally open contacts, when you push in the clutch that closes the contacts
so if you use a chunk of wire or something you can override the circuit, be careful not to mess up the connector
Old 12-18-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

When the clutch pedal is not being depressed the circuit is open/ clutch pedal switch open.

You need to close the circuit.
Old 12-18-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If the pedal goes to the floor then the switch is closing the circuit so the car should start. Unless the switch has gone bad then you need to jump the pins together.
Old 12-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the pedal goes to the floor but doesn't feel like it does anything (won't disengage), see if the clutch reservoir simply ran out of fluid.

If the pedal still moves and goes to the floor, that should still let the starter safety switch operate and the starter should crank as usual.