Brakes Post information/questions/Issues about Brakes here.

Front brake smell issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joshuaschweitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Front brake smell issue

I have a 2010 Civic Lx. Did front pads to it about 1 1/2 months ago and decided to re-lube the sliding pins. Originally used silicone paste. Started to have heating issues on both sides. Talked to a tech and they recommended to use anti-seize for the pins. I re-lubed them and still having same issue on both sides. Recently replaced rotors due to heat scoring on one of the rotors. Could it be bad pads, did nothing different other than the pins. Didn’t have any issues previously with decompressing the piston back into the bore either and brake lines seem okay on a visual inspection
Old 12-03-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Front brake smell issue

why do you think heat issues?
Old 12-03-2018
Registered!!

I smell them after driving from my commute to work and home. Sometimes, I even smell my brakes while being stopped at lights. I try not to brake too much or too hard, if I can avoid it, but that doesn’t really do much
Old 12-03-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Brakes are dragging....WHY?
Needs investigation
Which brake is screaming hot after a drive? One, both, all 4?
Jack it up while the brake(s) are screaming hot....Wheel is very hard to rotate?
If just one, could be a bad caliper.
If more than one, why would more than one caliper be stuck on at the same time? ..................who poured oil in the brake reservoir?

Your 'a tech' is quite incorrect
Anti-seize is not a lubricant, it should not be used on slide pins. It will dry out and cause the pins to bind and it can attack the rubber boots. Clean it all out from the pins and their holes
Go back to using the Silicone paste. It is a lubricant and it won't attack the rubber.
Old 12-04-2018
Registered!!

It had this issue even when I first had the silicone paste on the pins and it does it for both front calipers. I can’t think that both have mysteriously binded against the caliper housing or something. Brake flush was done over a year ago. No issues of any kind prior to most recent brake job. Only thing different I did was re-lubed the sliding pins. Was almost thinking of getting another set of pads and seeing maybe I got some sort of bad set? I will also check to see if the wheel seems to drag when I get it jacked up (when I have the time to do it)
Old 12-04-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was almost thinking of getting another set of pads and seeing maybe I got some sort of bad set?
Sure, it's possible. Were they cheap pads from a big name parts store? (pads could be made from compressed walnut shells or cardboard, for all we know)

when I get it jacked up (when I have the time to do it)
Gotta do this while they are stinking hot, can't wait for it to cool off because the problem (dragging brake/sticking calipers/hydraulic system problem) might only act up while hot.

Riding the brakes or a few stops in a row could make them stink too, without any problems.
Old 12-04-2018
Registered!!

Wouldn’t say cheap pads, persay. Got them from an autozone that’s local to me. Used those for years and never had any problems like this. Hopefully I’ll find a solution and I’ll post it on here