Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Loose belt effect timing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmann1557 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loose belt effect timing?

my 2007 civic with 170,000 miles has a timing chain and recently developed symptoms of a loose chain. It would run for a few seconds and then quit. The problem started soon after I heard a noise like a belt letting go. My mechanic found the serpentine belt tensioner was bad and replaced the belt and tensioner and says it ready to go. From everything I know (which admittingly isn't much) is the engine should be able to run without the belt but I wouldn't have a water pump, alternator or power steering. My question is can the serpentine belt cause the engine timing to be off? The only way I can see that happening is the belt somehow keeps a loose timing belt tensioned, right? I'm going to pick it up today and don't want to get half way home and be stranded along the side of the road.

thanks
Old 11-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Loose belt effect timing?

there's a tensioner for the chain as well...
why are you picking up a car that still isn't fixed?
Old 11-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My question is can the serpentine belt cause the engine timing to be off?
Absolutely not.

symptoms of a loose chain. It would run for a few seconds and then quit.
Several other issues can cause the same symptom you describe.
I would suspect other things before a chain issue based on your description.

Mechanic has belt and tensioner replaced now, does the engine run correctly-- or not?

Accurate diagnosis is valuable. Guesses are not.

If the serpentine belt came off, you know the water pump was not operating. So....how long did you keep driving without that belt?
Engine overheat could happen in just a minute if the water pump is not working.
Old 11-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmann1557 is an unknown quantity at this point

The belt never came off. The mechanic said the tensioner bolt had worked itself loose and was rubbing on the water pump.

I picked the car up because my mechanic said that after replacing the bolt, tensioner and belt the car was running fine. I have to say it is. I drove it home (about 30 miles) and it is running normal. I just thought it was strange the car would quit and the start right up for a couple secs and then quit again. I guess that's why I'm a backyard mechanic and pay the real mechanic to diagnose and fix the actual problem ��