Car will only start when entering the brake code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kdis01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car will only start when entering the brake code?

I have a 2006 Civic ex with around 175000 miles on it and recently replaced the alternator. The alternator went and about a month later I replaced it, since then it hasn’t run right. The car will start then immediately dies and the green key light flashes. I found that it might be related to the immobilizer so I went to the dealership and got the brake code. When I enter the brake code with the e brake the car starts and runs normally. Because of this I figured that my key would need to be reprogrammed so I had a locksmith come and try to reprogram my key. They tried to reprogram it but it said that it was all set (I’m not a car person so forgive me if that makes no sense). Basically what it came down to was that it wasn’t my key that was causing the car to not start. I have been driving the car daily but I have to enter my brake code every time I start my car. Everything seems to be running fine aside from that. There was a fuel pump code, and my thermostat is stuck open apparently. There was also an electrical code but I’m not sure what it was exactly. I’ve been advised to check the ground wires which I did and they seem to be corroded and a little more separated than they should be. Do you think that, that could be causing the car to not start?
Old 07-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car will only start when entering the brake code?

Did the battery go dead? Did you have to jump start it? Read here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-flashing.html

Last edited by ezone; 07-08-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: emboldened and embiggened link
Old 07-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kdis01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the battery died and I jumpstarted it. The voltages are reading in the normal range though?
Old 07-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't click the link I provided?
Do it.

Read my first reply to the OP.
Click the link in that reply.