Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Possible Voltage Regulator issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stone408 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible Voltage Regulator issues

I have a 2013 Honda Civic Si manual transmission. About a year ago I had excessive corrosion on my positive terminal to the point where I needed to install a temporary positive terminal clamp. I'm not saying this is a factor I'm just giving some back ground. I'm not sure about the time table, but some time after this my battery would drain to the point where I would need to jump start my vehicle. Once it was jumped it would be several weeks before I would need to do this again. I bought a volt meter that plugs into the power point (cigarette lighter). Once I turned on my vehicle it would settle at around 14.1 V. After several days of monitoring this, it dropped down to 12.8 V for no apparent reason. Within a couple days of this happening I had to jump start my vehicle, one time it had only dropped to 11.3 V. Again the meter would read around 14.1 V for several days and then randomly drop to 12.8 V. Now I started to experiment. I found that if I turn on my headlights it rises to around 14.1 V and stays there (slight fluctuations). I have also found that when I engine brake it will also rise to 14.1 V without the lights being on. This only happens when I am moving with the transmission in gear and foot off the accelerator. I recently bought a new battery. The old one was 5 years old so I figured it was time. I have not allowed the battery to drain to the point of needing to jump start it, but the without my headlights on the voltage still reads around 12.8 V. There is no longer any corrosion on the terminal clamps. Today I scuffed up the terminal clamps in hopes that the connection was bad, this also didn't help. Tomorrow I'm planning on soldering on a new terminal clamp because I currently only have the temporary bolt on type. Everything on my vehicle is stock no modifications of any kind. Do these symptoms sound like a bad voltage regulator?

Last edited by Stone408; 05-25-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible Voltage Regulator issues

randomly drop to 12.8 V.
Much of this sounds normal. Regarding voltages, read/study on how Hondas ELD controlled charging system works.

I recently bought a new battery.

I have to allowed the battery to drain to the point of needing to jump start it
Are you saying you caused the battery to go dead? That's hard on the battery.
Old 05-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Much of this sounds normal. Regarding voltages, read/study on how Hondas ELD controlled charging system works.

My bad, typo. I corrected it. I have not allowed my new battery to drop to that level.
Old 05-25-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stone408
I have not allowed my new battery to drop to that level.
And you have not had to jump start the car since the new battery was installed? Sounds like it's fixed to me LOL
Old 05-25-2018
Registered!!

And you have not had to jump start the car since the new battery was installed? Sounds like it's fixed to me LOL
Time will tell. I installed the new battery yesterday. I'm going to continue to monitor the voltage. I'd rather not have my new battery drop too low. Thanks for your input. Everyone I know just kept telling me it should always read around 14V, but it makes sense that unless the system had more of a load the alternator would drop down.
Old 05-25-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for my 2002, but my understanding is Honda ELDs all work about the same. Had a voltmeter gauge on my EM2, and depending on engine load, electrical load, etc., voltage would vary from high 11's to low 14s
Old 05-25-2018

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
voltage would vary from high 11's to low 14s
About the same for my 2012 Civic

OP, you could have a random intermittent drain like something got stuck on after the car was shut off
Old 06-03-2018
Registered!!

About the same for my 2012 Civic

OP, you could have a random intermittent drain like something got stuck on after the car was shut off
Thanks for all the input. A week later everything appears to be working.
Old 08-11-2019
Registered!!

Cody Pickler is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same problem as stated above the only difference is I have already replaced the alternator with a new battery and every time I turn on the AC compressor it seems to kill everything even replace the ELD module any help is to what else it could be AutoZone tells me the voltage regulator on alternator is bad but there again I replaced what gives
Old 08-24-2019

Originally Posted by Cody Pickler
I am having the same problem as stated above the only difference is I have already replaced the alternator with a new battery and every time I turn on the AC compressor it seems to kill everything even replace the ELD module any help is to what else it could be AutoZone tells me the voltage regulator on alternator is bad but there again I replaced what gives
When you say "kill everything", what exactly happens?
Does that mean electrical system goes dead? Does that mean the engine dies--- but electrical items still function?

Is the compressor simply locked up?
Old 08-24-2019
Registered!!

Cody Pickler is an unknown quantity at this point

I mean the gauges and lights flicker or gauges stays on 0 ....like it kills the battery to the point of dead...I'm getting no more than 13.1 when car is at idle...on way down rd.. voltage seems to drop....compressor seems to be functioning normal...kicks on and off and seems to cycle correctly...1