Hybrid Engine/IMA battery system The hybrid have a very different engine and Battery system (IMA), so this forum is for items related to the Hybrid cars alone. If they are same as the regular cars, please post there instead.

Ima, brake, battery, power steering cel...Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeseniasboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Ima, brake, battery, power steering cel...Help

2012 hybrid with recent christmas tree. Dealer is clueless, and suggests replacing parts to solve problem at cost of who knows how much.

any experience with these codes? Internet no help what so ever and many of you seem to be the real deal.

here goes.
rough acceleration no obvious electric motor activation on acceleration. Lights and cels everywhere.
Dealer says codes p15A5, p1437, and p1440 stored in the hds. Two are for electric rotor current sensor and one for the mpi. After clearing codes 2 come back on right away and the third after driving. Recommended new current sensor and retest. May have to replace the ima rotor and housing as well.
At a cost of $6,953.16

nothing said about ima battery**

Any ideas? Once we picked up the car a power steering code was then on as well as ima, battery and brake.
Old 04-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ima, brake, battery, power steering cel...Help

p15A5 motor current sensor circuit error
p1437 mpi module short circuit
p1440 mpi module output circuit error

The other systems you mention may have set codes because of the faults above.

Many mechanics would just stop after reading the codes and write up a list of parts to throw at the car. Most mechanics are NOT top gun troubleshooters.

I can see why this gets confusing...
Code P1437 info asks if code P1440 or P15A5 were set, and go to those codes for troubleshooting.
P15a5 says if your other 2 codes are present......same thing

P1440 is the only one that doesn't ask about your other 2 codes (but does list a slew of different codes)....so I'd start here.
That leads to checking power cables to the IMA motor stator and checking the stator internal circuits....

Sorry, no silver bullet here.

I would want to actually test what the service information says to test, I can't just be tossing expensive parts *****-nilly without some justification (test results) to back it up --especially for a problem that is not a common failure item.

First I'd want to do the visual inspection.....Anything crushed or obviously chewed by rodents? (They LOVE wires!)

Then check resistance of the stator circuits in the IMA motor....which shouldn't be very difficult to access the wiring plug for testing.......but Further testing might require even more disassembly for access to the rest of the wiring and whatnot, so the checkout fees might have to go up.
Old 04-29-2018
Registered!!

Now that you mention it, I did repair a broken wire a couple months ago. Dealer quoted $1500+ to replace vtec scroll?.
i just assumed it was bumped during previous oil change as the light came on a week later.

ive searched with a flashlight in the engine compartment and cant find another chewed wire. With the codes im getting where would you guess I concentrate my search?

honestly any tips will be appreciated.

the car seems to drive mostly fine. No ima function to mention. Im driving on just gas, hybrid battery is 50%.
Old 04-29-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

With the codes im getting where would you guess I concentrate my search?

honestly any tips will be appreciated.
From my previous reply:
P1440 is the only one that doesn't ask about your other 2 codes (but does list a slew of different codes)....so I'd start here.
That leads to checking power cables to the IMA motor stator and checking the stator internal circuits....

test what the service information says to test
check resistance of the stator circuits in the IMA motor

You may want to pay for access to the real Honda service information so you can look up precautions, procedures and diagrams and such, there's a lot of expensive stuff at stake here

https://techinfo.honda.com
Old 05-03-2018
Registered!!

Ok. A mechanic did me a favor and looked at it for free. He had seen rodent damage a lot and found no wire damage. He cleared the codes 8 times and the only code to return was the 1440. He said there were 20 other codes and said likely low voltage triggered.
he found the engine battery to be below 9 volts and charged it to full, cleared codes, and was able to start normal and drive with no codes, but lights came on when hybrid battery dropped below 38%.
he seems convinced that charging engine battery was able to back charge enough to the hybrid battery that it worked fine. He suspects hybrid battery to be faulty or inability to charge it?
Old 05-03-2018

Low (12v) battery voltage can trigger a whole bunch of codes, and connecting jumper cables with the key on can make the cars freak out too.

The IMA battery can be nearing the end of its useful life, but until it sets codes related to the IMA battery we don't replace it......and even then it shouldn't cause your P1440 code.

I think in the end you may have a winding in the stator that goes open at certain temperatures, causing the P1440.
Old 09-14-2019
Registered!!

Roy Jürgens is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - it had been running great (except for the clutch) until I ended up lost on a dirt road in the desert in the middle of the night. I ended up getting stuck in the sand and burning out the rest of my clutch freeing myself.

I took it to a local shop and he charged me $696 for the clutch (I Know!) but in the process he screwed up the IMA. The gauge no longer shows any charge going to the battery, the battery light comes on when the car idles and the IMA light is on. Also, the AC doesn't work. I took it back to the mechanic and he doesn't know what the problem is, blaming the burnt out clutch for causing electrical damage. I don't see how a burnt clutch inside the trans is going to damage external electrical components. Besides, I was able to drive it after I fried the clutch and the IMA worked just fine.

Someone please advise. Could it be that the the orange power harness got disconnected of damaged?
Old 08-12-2021
Registered!!

vtorres1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you able to figure out the problem? Our 2012 Honda Civic hybrid is throwing the same codes and responded the same as you described. My husband drove home from the airport (4 hours) and as he approached home it threw
P1437
P15A5
P1440
the general codes obviously point to a loose connection but I’m wondering if it ended up being IMA inverter or battery or wiring harness?
Old 08-20-2021

Originally Posted by vtorres1986
Were you able to figure out the problem? Our 2012 Honda Civic hybrid is throwing the same codes and responded the same as you described. My husband drove home from the airport (4 hours) and as he approached home it threw
P1437
P15A5
P1440
the general codes obviously point to a loose connection but I’m wondering if it ended up being IMA inverter or battery or wiring harness?
Go to your local Honda dealership ASAP.
See attached TSB

(Note: this bulletin was issued in 2020)
Attached Files
Old 08-23-2021
Registered!!

vtorres1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!!!! It’s covered under the extended warranty and getting towed down to Honda. I’ll update what was replaced once it’s all done for those who are over the 150,000