Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2012 Honda Civic Coupe transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tildon is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Honda Civic Coupe transmission issues

I bought a 2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe that was wrecked on the front. I put it back together and now the transmission now jerks between gears. If I put the gear shift lever in 3rd it works great but in drive it shutters in between gears. If you gas on it hard in drive it shifts through the gears fine. There is no check engine light on or any other warning lights. I am wondering if it’s the torque converter or if it could be something else? I did drain the transmission fluid and installed a new filter but it didn’t make any difference. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks
Old 04-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Honda Civic Coupe transmission issues

in 3rd it works great but in drive it shutters in between gears
Likely TCC shudder......Pretty common issue.

How many miles on the car?
What did the trans fluid look like when you drained it? What color is it now?

Did you use the correct HONDA ATF DW-1 fluid? (this is important)

Sometimes the trans need more than a single drain and fill if it's been badly neglected. 3x is the norm.

If it got the wrong fluid, I'd drain and fill until it's had a whole case (12 qt) of correct DW-1 fluid through it
Old 04-25-2018
Registered!!

Tildon is an unknown quantity at this point

Car has 86k miles. I used genuine Honda DW-1 fluid. The fluid was a little dirty but nothing that I thought looked too bad. Maybe I should try draining it again. I did read that the torque converter does hold about half the fluid after you drain it. The only thing that doesn’t make sense to me is why it would shift fine it you put it in 3rd but then in drive it shutters.
Old 04-25-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that doesn’t make sense to me is why it would shift fine it you put it in 3rd but then in drive it shutters.
In D, the TCC can be applied in all 5 gears.
The TCC can be partially applied (slip) as well as fully applied (lockup), depending on conditions.

On some vehicles the TCC schedule is changed from one mode to the next (D3/D).
On some others, the TCC is not applied at all in D3 mode.

I'd have to do some hunting to see exactly how this applies to the 12 Civic though, if the info is even available.

If it took a front end hit, make sure the ATF and coolant aren't mixing. The trans fluid cooler/warmer (mounted on the trans) is kinda delicate. Check radiator, check trans.
Old 05-02-2020
Registered!!

Aldrich Harry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I just want to know how did you resolve the issue? Because I am experiencing almost the same thing as this. But mine, when it's cold start, it will shift roughly. Like the first and second gear will rev up to 3-5k rpm before it shifts automatically. Before it will be just between 2-3k rpm. And sometimes, whenever I press on the gas, it will just rev high. After waiting like 5 seconds it will go back in gear. Hopefully you guys can help me as well.
Old 05-03-2020

Originally Posted by Aldrich Harry
Hi I just want to know how did you resolve the issue? Because I am experiencing almost the same thing as this. But mine, when it's cold start, it will shift roughly. Like the first and second gear will rev up to 3-5k rpm before it shifts automatically. Before it will be just between 2-3k rpm. And sometimes, whenever I press on the gas, it will just rev high. After waiting like 5 seconds it will go back in gear. Hopefully you guys can help me as well.
Check the fluid level first!