Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2006 Civic Sputters at 3400 RPMs

Old 04-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rolinb71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2006 Civic Sputters at 3400 RPMs

Hi, My 06 civic has been sputtering for the last ~5 months at 3400 RPMs. It happens both when idling and when driving. My fist researching led me to think it was either crank or Cam shaft sensor. I had a diagnostic and the following code was issued:
61-01 Modular control unit initial ignition - I think.
I saw where it might be an engine mount, but it sound odd for this as it is very consistent in always sputtering at 3400 RPMs. Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts?
Old 04-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Civic Sputters at 3400 RPMs

Got an OBD2 fault code in the common format of "Pxxxx"?
Old 04-14-2018
Registered!!

Wink Re: 2006 Civic Sputters at 3400 RPMs

Originally Posted by ezone
Got an OBD2 fault code in the common format of "Pxxxx"?
I don't have a code. I'll see if I can go back to a garage or buy a reader and post it.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Many parts stores will read codes for free...(and print a shopping list of parts to sell you)
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Here are all the codes:
P2647
P0523
P2183
P0111
The first two are the likely relevant ones. Looks like the it may be the Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch
Old 04-24-2018

Originally Posted by rolinb71
Here are all the codes:
P2647
P0523
Looks like the it may be the Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch
The P0523 is for the oil pressure sensor, not switch.
Sensor is 3 wires, switch would only have 2.
Previous generation Civic used the switch.

I'd want to (voltmeter) check wiring for the sensor first.....Example, If the sensor were to lose its ground for some reason, the signal voltage seen by the PCM would be 5v....And set fault code for it.

P2183
P0111
There's a bulletin about checking the ECT2 sensor in the bottom of the radiator. Many times I found bad or damaged wiring to the sensor or corrosion in the connector terminals. Sometimes one just needed wiring repaired, sometimes the sensor had to be replaced, sometimes both.

HTH
Old 05-08-2019
Registered!!

pjw73nh is an unknown quantity at this point

Rolinb71, you don't mention which engine you have.

Ezone, Re P0523. I have the 1.8 engine. I have the official Honda shop manuals for my vehicle "06-09 Civic". It details and shows diagrams for testing the oil pressure SWITCH. Are you perhaps referring to a different engine ? I looked at the sections for BOTH the 1.8 and 2.0 and I can't find anything about a rocker arm oil pressure SENSOR. I'd be interested in any further details you could provide as I am going to be troubleshooting this issue this weekend and I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Rockauto DOES show a part number for a three terminal oil pressure sensor, but I just can't seem to find it in the manual. Where is it located on the engine?

These are my symptoms:
My 2007 Civic 1.8L just started acting up. MIL is on, Two solid P0523 codes, 1 P0523 pending.

My Innova 3160 ODBII scanner will not reset them. "Erase Failed". I tried this several times. There are no other codes present. No oil light either.

When holding gas pedal down partially and steady, the engine revs up to 3500 RPMs, then down, then up, then down.

Also the cruise control has stopped working at the same time. The main cruise control light will come on, but it will not engage at any speed.

When I get access to the car this weekend, I am going to test (probably replace) the oil pressure switch.

The shop manual details testing it as follows:

1. Disconnect the connector from the oil pressure switch. (it is a single terminal switch)

2. With the engine off, there should be full continuity between the terminal on the switch and engine ground.

3. With the engine running, there should be NO continuity between the terminal and engine ground.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2019

It details and shows diagrams for testing the oil pressure SWITCH. Are you perhaps referring to a different engine ? I looked at the sections for BOTH the 1.8 and 2.0 and I can't find anything about a rocker arm oil pressure SENSOR. I'd be interested in any further details you could provide as I am going to be troubleshooting this issue this weekend and I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.
Read this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...w-voltage.html
Old 05-09-2019
Registered!!

HI pjw73nh,

I have the 1.8 engine. I still have not done anything to fix it yet. I drive it daily and have learned to live with it. However, I did some more research and remember looking at the following youtube video:
It is not a great quality video, but still helpful. I think the first thing I will try if I ever get around to it is this. Let me know if this is helpful or not.
Old 05-09-2019
Registered!!

​Ezone, Fantastic info. Thanks so much. While I have already purchased the OP SWITCH (1 terminal)​, ($11), so when I get access to the car, I am going to go through the aforementioned tests of that switch, if it tests good, I'll return the new one.

I've ordered an OP SENSOR (3 terminal) to have on hand if I need it. Based on your information (and yes, NOW I found the info in the service manual. It's NOT in the "Lubrication" section. It's in the "Fuel and Emissions" section. Go figure) I think it IS the sensor that is the issue.

And yes, the P0523 does seem to point to the sensor. I was visiting a friend this morning that runs a 3 tech/bay shop (for a different reason) and I ran the switch vs sensor issue by him. Like you, he said there is DEFINITELY an OP sensor and they go bad all the time. He's done several.

So, thanks very much for the great information. I'll post back when (if) I get the issue resolved.
Old 05-09-2019

Originally Posted by pjw73nh
​Ezone, Fantastic info. Thanks so much. While I have already purchased the OP SWITCH (1 terminal)​, ($11), so when I get access to the car, I am going to go through the aforementioned tests of that switch, if it tests good, I'll return the new one.
Switch is on the front of the block next to the cat. If the red oil idiot light (gravy boat light) works and the switch is not leaking oil, it's fine.
Old 05-09-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Switch is on the front of the block next to the cat. If the red oil idiot light (gravy boat light) works and the switch is not leaking oil, it's fine.
Are you suggesting that if the oil (gravy boat) light comes on with key at "acc" but is off with engine running, that it is not an issue?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2019

Originally Posted by pjw73nh
Are you suggesting that if the oil (gravy boat) light comes on with key at "acc" but is off with engine running, that it is not an issue?

Thanks.
Key on/engine off: Gravy boat illuminated (because there is no oil pressure while engine is not running)
Engine running: Gravy boat off (because running engine has oil pressure)

The oil symbol.....you could call it the Aladdins Lamp symbol instead of gravy boat LOL
Old 05-12-2019
Registered!!

Ezone, Thanks. Update. Got a look-see at the car today. How the heck does one get access to the the pressure sensor ? What's the secret? At first I couldn't even see it. I finally found it. I tried accessing it from both the top and the bottom. Not even close. The manual details tearing the cowl/sub-cowl, wipers and much more apart, but even then it doesn't look like there'll be much better access to it. And not that it's relevant or that I am considering it, but even getting to the "gravy boat/Aladdin's lamp" sensor looks pretty challenging.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2019
Registered!!

SOLVED: Re: 2006 Civic Sputters at 3400 RPMs

UPDATE:

1. I was in the middle of shopping for a new auto diagnostic scanner, and it just so happened I found the one I wanted and ordered it. It arrived before I was able to tackle the sensor issue, So I scanned the Civic. In fact, it DID produce not only the P0523 code, but like others, it also reported a P2647. Further, please remember that I mentioned that the cruise control light would com on, but the cruise control "set" would not engage.

This is the scanner I settled on:
LAUNCH CRP129E LAUNCH CRP129E

I tried for an hour or so to figure out how to replace this sensor (not switch). It was REALLY buried. I tried from the top and from the bottom (on ground, not a lift). I finally gave up and enlisted the help of my friendly (and very small handed) European auto mechanic. It took him about an hour but was successful. One of the things he did was remove the adjacent bracket which he said gave him a bit more "breathing" room. And I am happy to report that it resolved the issue. Cruise control is functional again as well. I found the sensor on Amazon for about $30. Genuine? Knock off? Who knows how long it will last....

Oil pressure SENSOR Oil pressure SENSOR

I hope this post helps others.
Old 06-05-2019
Registered!!

Barry Spinner is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds strange. Have you verified oil level is correct? Your reply will guide my suggestion.
Old 06-05-2019
Registered!!

Barry Spinner is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I have read the whole thread. I think you do not have oil reaching the hydraulic cam area.
In my 1.8 SOHC, I just brought oil up to level (Mine is a slight burner due to 350,00 kilometers). Problem solved.

What is occurring is this engine will not go into its VTEC mode. The clue is that cruise control got disabled. Cute , eh?
Old 06-05-2019

Originally Posted by Barry Spinner
Now I have read the whole thread. I think you do not have oil reaching the hydraulic cam area.
In my 1.8 SOHC, I just brought oil up to level (Mine is a slight burner due to 350,00 kilometers). Problem solved.

What is occurring is this engine will not go into its VTEC mode. The clue is that cruise control got disabled. Cute , eh?
OP fixed his car 2 weeks ago. Bad oil pressure sensor was the problem in his case but he found it cheaper to buy a used VTEC valve complete from a junkyard