Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Looking at buying 06 si, transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb7em2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking at buying 06 si, transmission questions

I’m looking at buying a 06 si with 160k car runs great and drives great, no grinds but I did notice 3rd did seem a little harder to engage then the others but not too bad I’ve read about issues with these transmissions and they have me worried, how bad or how common are transmission issues? I don’t really have the extra money to rebuild the transmission. The car is $3700 and needs a clutch (slips at wide open throttle some) I got a quote from a local transmission shop for $800 to replace clutch and resurface flywheel.
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Re: Looking at buying 06 si, transmission questions

Anyone???
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

my opinion... i always assume the worst. trans issues depend on the previous owner and how much they beat on it. for all you know someone babied it for the first 150k miles, then a teenager drove the wheels off it for the last 10k and is now dumping it because they can't afford to fix the clutch. feel lucky?
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

on the flip side, i'm driving the girlfriends 2015 si today. she mentioned that the car is not as smooth going into third as when she got it. it feels exactly the same as all the other gears to me though(although i baby it since it's not mine to beat on). is it possible you're just being picky/paranoid?
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

No it’s for sure a little bit more difficult to get into third, does the price seem high? The plus side is atleast I would know it had a new clutch but I’ve just heard so much about the si transmissions, my accords manual transmissions were all bulletproof but idk about these 8th gen civic si’s
Old 02-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

3rd is probably the most often shifted gear so it may be the first to give signs of wear

Word up in hurrr: https://www.scribd.com/document/1577...-Honda-A08-020
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
3rd is probably the most often shifted gear so it may be the first to give signs of wear

Word up in hurrr: https://www.scribd.com/document/1577...-Honda-A08-020
would you avoid it for the price or is it a good deal?
Old 02-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the value of a car. That's not my bag.

I'd say to figure up the clutch price, and if 3rd gear bothers you a lot you can add some more for taking care of the 3rd gear issue as per that linked service bulletin while the trans is out to do the clutch job. Don't want to pay to have the trans pulled out twice, right?