Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Higher RPM noise after low trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lgn98868 is an unknown quantity at this point
Higher RPM noise after low trans fluid

Ive got a 2012 lx with around 60k miles. I changed the oil and put new brakes on it about a month ago. While doing this I checked the trans fluid and it was low, so I topped it back to appropriate level.

It seemed like after this the car was slightly louder above the 40 mph range, and sounded like it was running around 1000 rpm higher than it really was. Engine rpm was pretty much consistent with what it’s been since I’ve had it.

A couple of weeks ago I felt the trans slip a little more and checked fluid—-low again and smelt burnt. Topped it back off and have been checking it frequently and have not been losing any.

Since this second time it’s gotten low, the noise seems like it’s gotten a little louder. Running at 70 mph it sounds like the engine/trans would be going 90-100.

Any advice on what to do? I know the losing trans fluid needs to be addressed, and oddly it was consistent until the second loss. This time i hit a big puddle at low Speed and the bottom of the car really got washed, enough that one of the plastic covers on the bottom for folded over on itself. I got under and bent it back and the next time I drove it that’s when the second low fluid issue happened.

Have been refilling it with Honda atf dw1 as specd by the owners manual. Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 02-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Higher RPM noise after low trans fluid

Get the leak fixed and do a 3x3 ATF drain and fill.
Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Get the leak fixed and do a 3x3 ATF drain and fill.
not at all doubting you, but why do you think that would remedy the noise? I understand the physics of the fluid could be altered since I didn’t completely drop it all and refill, but I feel like there is some physical damage to some extent and not sure where/what to do about it.

Thanks for your response
Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

Here’s a link to what it sounds like....was only going like 68 and maybe 2200 rpm here

Old 02-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lgn98868
Here’s a link to what it sounds like....was only going like 68 and maybe 2200 rpm here.
I can't discern the noise. Bring it to a Honda dealer or transmission shop.
Old 02-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an airplane is flying next to you? Wheel bearing bad.

Swerve side to side (within your lane) a noisy wheel bearing will usually get a bit quieter as you swerve to one side.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like an airplane is flying next to you? Wheel bearing bad.

Swerve side to side (within your lane) a noisy wheel bearing will usually get a bit quieter as you swerve to one side.
nope, tried that. Thanks though.
Old 02-12-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Just to make sure, you are using the correct fluid right?
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
Just to make sure, you are using the correct fluid right?
As far as I know, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Some more info—took it out of gear and out in neutral today while it was making the noise, still had the same sound. Have done pretty hard weaving and sound doesn’t change so highly doubt it’s wheel bearing.

One more thing, when it gets above 70 mph, and only >70, it starts a bit of a metal scratching type sound that almost seems like it is coming from behind the front left wheel/directly in front of the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71773250-4FDD-4C92-B0AB-6454C9892FBB.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	111981  
Old 02-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgn98868

As far as I know, but correct me if I’m wrong.
DW1 is the current correct fluid

Some more info—took it out of gear and out in neutral today while it was making the noise, still had the same sound.
Pretty much eliminates everything engine related, exhaust related, and eliminates most the the transmission.

That pretty much leaves the tires/bearings/intermediate shaft bearing/differential in the front end as your possible front end culprits.....I'd include axles but they won't sound like an airplane flying next to you
(is that what it sounds like? My laptop is not great with sound reproduction).
Have done pretty hard weaving and sound doesn’t change so highly doubt it’s wheel bearing.
Still can't rule out a wheel bearing....May need to raise the wheels off the ground to do more checks (let them spin at speed while listening to the hubs with a stethoscope, or letting one tire spin while the other is held still)

Rotate the tires front to rear, see if noise moves? Look for choppy tread on the edges, usually inboard edges.

One more thing, when it gets above 70 mph, and only >70, it starts a bit of a metal scratching type sound that almost seems like it is coming from behind the front left wheel/directly in front of the steering wheel.
IDK. Splash shields dragging the ground or a tire? Rotor backing plates got bent? Brake noise?
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Going to jack up and check bearing in about an hour and will look under and see what I can see.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Got the front off the ground and checked both wheels for play , found none. Then put in neutral and turned both wheels by hand. The wheel I suspected had a surprising amount of resistance to it, but when I did the opposite side, they were fairly even. When I say surprising, I mean it had a lot more than I was expecting it to normally have (ie more like a trailer spindle).

Didnt see anything underneath that would be making noise. Trans fluid has been consistent since the last time it got low.

What does the putting it neutral and still getting the sound not rule out in regards to the transmission?

In regards to the sound, I wouldn’t necessarily say an airplane next to me, just sounds like the car is turning 4500 rpms when it’s only doing 1800-2500.
Old 02-12-2018

and turned both wheels by hand.
I'd have it safely supported with both front wheels off the ground (shop lift) helper sitting inside it to run it in gear, force the trans to upshift and run about 40-50 MPH or whatever speed the noise is loud and obvious.....then use a stethoscope to probe for wherever the noise is loudest

Or cut that speed in half, then stop one wheel at a time to make the opposite wheel spin (it will spin at double what the speedometer says because the differential doubles the speed), listen again for the loud one

The wheel I suspected had a surprising amount of resistance to it,
Brake drag....Stuck caliper? Stuck pins? Jammed up pad or shim?
What does the putting it neutral and still getting the sound not rule out in regards to the transmission?
the countershaft and differential.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

I’m gone away to school right now and only have the little emergency jack with the spare to worth with. Don’t want to try running it only supported by that jack.

I did put some new pads on it when all this started, and it did have some different sound to it, but since the sound has gotten louder I don’t really feel like it’s due to the pads. Also don’t think that would explain the scratchy sound heard around 70 mph.

I guess im ultimately thinking there is some kind of damage done to the transmission in the period it was driven low enough in fluid to burn it—maybe 20-30 miles. We have a gmc truck we feed cattle on the farm with and the fluid got low in it and started making a similar scratchy sound when accelerating and ultimately the trans went out of it a few weeks later.
Old 02-13-2018

Hey, did you know that Hondas automatic transmissions are to be checked with the engine OFF?

Honda is probably the only company on the planet that has you check auto trans fluid this way. If you try to check fluid level and add with the engine running it may end up wrong.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

I had been checking and adding with the engine off. Fluid was burnt and low so it had definitely gotten hot at some point.