Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2014 civic broken cvt belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gadsby is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 civic broken cvt belt

I have a 2014 civic with 143000klms in which I I bought the Honda plus warranty of 120000klms, so it's out of warranty and my CVT belt just broke apart!! Has anyany else heard of this happening?? Contacted honda of Canada to try and get help, I also work for honda manufacturing and because I never got a transtransmi flush done Which I have told them never even came up for service till 140000kKlms they will not help me!! They basically told me that I was lieing there is No way the tranny service never came up it should have came up at between 80-90000 Klms so because I didn't follow the warranty service excactly they will not help me. Has anyone ever had there number 3 service come up later then what they are telling me it should have? Took the car to a Honda dealership they got me to change a few sensors which did nothing! Spent $700 a the dealership trying to get the car fixed just to finally take it to a transmission shop for them to finally find the problem, know I'm looking at $2500 to have the transmission fixed.
Old 02-02-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2014 civic broken cvt belt

Check the print in your owners manual, If it lists 90,000km you're out of luck. If it lists 140,000 like you said you're closer to getting it fixed under warranty, but you are still overdue by 3,000km.
Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

kvance60115 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 2015 Civic, without warning, lost all transmission about 10 days ago. The shop said they pulled trouble code P1890. They found that CVT had failed and needs replacement. We've had the car 2.5 years - high mileage though , ~120K.

We called Honda and argued that even though the car is out of warranty due to mileage, we should not have to foot the entire $5K bill. We've maintained the vehicle per the service schedule, and have nothing to it to merit catastrophic transmission failure. they opened a case file, and within 2 days returned are call, agreeing to pay 80% of the repairs.

Picking it up today, if they complete the job. I will be interested to know if the CVT belt broke or something else within the transmission. I've heard even a small l amount of slippage is all it takes to ruin a CVT.

We put on more miles than the average driver. Could we be a canary in the coal mine? I predict we see more and more of these as others exceed the 100K mark.

Note - this is my first post. signed up to reply to OP. Apologies if this is old news, but do you know about the 2015 recall? Fit and Civic CVTs? https://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-...r-cvt-trouble/
Old 03-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

agreeing to pay 80% of the repairs.
That's a heckuva good deal for you!

I will be interested to know if the CVT belt broke
If it was undriveable, the cvt belt could have broken.

Nobody at the dealership is going to open up the trans to find out for sure though, they just replace the transmission.

Before removing the trans, when they drain the fluid out, IF some solid chunks come tumbling out of the drain hole, that might give a clue as to what happened
Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That's a heckuva good deal for you!
Yes it was - and Im not taking it for granted. They could easily have turned down the claim entirely, and I've no recourse other than a second job til I had the money to pay. Kudos to Honda. Also - helps me make up my mind re my next car (prob a Fit (with Manual)). We were also told that if a recall is ever issued, we will be reimbursed our portion of the CVT they just put in.

Originally Posted by ezone
Nobody at the dealership is going to open up the trans to find out for sure though, they just replace the transmission.
You are correct - just picked it up - and they did not crack it open, in fact they completely stonewalled when I asked about it. The clerk seemed very nervous and defensive, even though I was nothing but grateful that they agreed to split the cost. It was kinda strange really. Wonder if they are starting to see CVT failures with increasing frequency.

(And $%#^, meant to write "returned our call" not "returned are call". My first post, and aleady with the typos)
Old 03-10-2018
Registered!!

btw - wanted to add, the trouble code that was pulled was: P1890. Like ezone said, the only diagnostics they did was to pull that code, which, according to the shop, means tranny is dead an must be replaced. Like ezone said, they did not crack it open or look at it in any way.
Old 03-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kvance60115
You are correct - just picked it up - and they did not crack it open, in fact they completely stonewalled when I asked about it. The clerk seemed very nervous and defensive,

It was kinda strange really.
Right. That particular code is pretty limited in additional diagnosis steps.

To oversimplify it: Erase the code. Drive the car. Does it set the code again? Replace the transmission.

btw - wanted to add, the trouble code that was pulled was: P1890. Like ezone said, the only diagnostics they did was to pull that code, which, according to the shop, means tranny is dead an must be replaced. Like ezone said, they did not crack it open or look at it in any way.
When replacing a transmission with a new or remanufactured unit from Honda, we do not disassemble the old transmission.
The old unit is boxed and returned to the manufacturer.
Wonder if they are starting to see CVT failures with increasing frequency.
Probably no more than some other automatic transmissions Honda made IMO.

People can scream loud when something expensive fails though.
Old 11-13-2019
Registered!!

alphabet25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 2015 Civic, without warning, lost all transmission about 10 days ago. The shop said they pulled trouble code P1890. They found that CVT had failed and needs replacement. We've had the car 2.5 years - high mileage though , ~120K.

We called Honda and argued that even though the car is out of warranty due to mileage, we should not have to foot the entire $5K bill. We've maintained the vehicle per the service schedule, and have nothing to it to merit catastrophic transmission failure. they opened a case file, and within 2 days returned are call, agreeing to pay 80% of the repairs.

Picking it up today, if they complete the job. I will be interested to know if the CVT belt broke or something else within the transmission. I've heard even a small l amount of slippage is all it takes to ruin a CVT.

We put on more miles than the average driver. Could we be a canary in the coal mine? I predict we see more and more of these as others exceed the 100K mark.

Note - this is my first post. signed up to reply to OP. Apologies if this is old news, but do you know about the 2015 recall? Fit and Civic CVTs? https://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-...r-cvt-trouble/
I have a 2015 Civic with 123K and the exact thing happened. Honda will not stand behind their junk CVT. Any tips on how to get them to pick up part of the cost?
Old 02-10-2020
Registered!!

aschattke is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2014 Civic with 140k miles and trans just went out with same issue. Chunks of metal coming out of the bottom drain hole. Honda is basically telling me I am screwed. Sounds like there is a known issue with the trans on this car. I am hesitant to fix it with another flawed CVT trans. This is very frustrating.
Old 06-21-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruella de Vil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello alphabet25,

I'm trying to get this information out to as many 2014-2015 Civic owners with failed transmissions as possible.

I too have a catastrophic transmission failure on my 2015 Civic EX with 85,000 miles. Honda has refused to help.

Please report your problem to the only organization that can do anything about it - the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration aka NHTSA (****. knit-sah) which is part of the Department of Transportation (DOT). At least 40 other Civic owners have done so. Honda recalled 2014-15 Civics in October 2015 to effect a change to the computer software to prevent this failure. By my calculation there may be as many as 18,000 vehicles that were not included in the recall, but evidence is mounting that they should have been. Even though your car is now fixed, please help the rest of us that are facing bills of $5000-$6000. You will be reimbursed for the 20% you did spend if the recall is broadened to include the 18,000. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2021
Registered!!

Darren McQuade is an unknown quantity at this point

Another one bites the dust, Little over 200,000KM on a 2014 Civic LX Coupe.
CVT belt blow apart. Not impressed I have to replace the whole transmission, yikes.

Old 05-31-2022
Registered!!

hondacivic2015_ is an unknown quantity at this point

same here. seems to me once this car reaches over 100k miles the cvt crashes.
Old 05-31-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

they actually require more servicing than regular autos... like 30k mile fluid change
The issue is that when they fail, it's a whole replacement. No rebuilds.
Googling should show that Hondas are not the worst.
one of the results from googling

https://carfromjapan.com/article/car...missions-last/
Old 06-24-2022
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nota is an unknown quantity at this point

has any one replaced the chain of metal bits BEFORE IT FAILS

SURE LOOKS TO ME TO BE A HIGH WARE ITEM

AND FAILS AT OVER 100K
CAN THE CHAIN BE REPLACED ?

Old 06-24-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If you want to remove the trans from the car and take it apart....
Old 10-05-2023
Registered!!

gerrythrash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello...I'm a little late to the party, but I felt my story is worth sharing. I bought a used 2015 Honda Civic from Mercedes Benz of Stevens Creek in September of last year. The mileage on the vehicle was 55,588 at time of purchase. I signed the documents on Sept 11, and took delivery of the vehicle on Sept 14. During the purchase process, I was given a copy of a certified checklist of everything that was supposedly checked out on the car. On the checklist, it says that the transmission fluid level and condition was checked and met the standard.

Well...on the afternoon of Monday Oct 2, 2023, the transmission suffered a catastrophic failure. I had it towed to Honda of Oakland the next morning. When the Honda mechanic got the car, the first thing they did was check the transmission fluid levels. They said it was really low, but found no leaks or signs of leaks. They drained what was left, and refilled it, drained it again through a strainer and found all these chunks of metal. They said the transmission needs to be replaced, and quoted me $9707 for the service. The car currently has 80,000 miles on it.

So something doesn't make sense, here.
This car has a CVT transmission and as I'm sure your mechanics know, maintaining proper fluid levels and condition is critical on these gearboxes. How does a car with only 80,000 miles on it blow a transmission unless it wasn't properly maintained? I have a feeling that the dealership misrepresented the inspection checklist.

And what makes it so bad is that I'm still making payments on this car.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed.