Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 2013 - Check Emission System

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akdutta is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2013 - Check Emission System

Hi, Since yesterday I see the engine light on the dashboard and I get the message “Check emission system”. The light stays on. I have checked the fuel cap and it is fine. Can this happen because of the frigid temperature here? Do I need to take it to the dealer immediately?
Old 01-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 2013 - Check Emission System

Get the fault codes read first, post up the codes and then we'll see if it's major or minor.

In my area the discount parts stores (the ones that are open in Sunday) will read codes for free
Old 01-03-2018
Registered!!

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I was not able to find a parts store that reads the codes for free. However, the light is no longer there from today morning. Incidentally, the temperature here rose somewhat and it was -10 Celsius in the morning.
Old 01-03-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Frigid temps should not cause the check engine light to come on (that emissions systems message displays along with the check engine light) if all is well.

If low temps do cause the CEL to come on, that may be a handy clue when it comes time to figure out why the fault code(s) set.

If it happens again, we will need to know the fault code numbers

You can purchase some basic code readers pretty cheap, better ones can display some data that might be handy, or you can purchase a bluetooth dongle+phone app to read car info on your smartphone (also low cost IMO)
Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

Once again, thank you for your suggestions. This is indeed very helpful. I will purchase a basic code reader and the next time it happens, I will get the fault code numbers and post them here. Please pardon my ignorance, but are you able to suggest a couple of readers that are basic but reliable? Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2018

I have no input to that question. I have access to dealer level scantools, I have no first hand experience with basic code readers. I'd suggest search the forum?

a bluetooth dongle+phone app to read car info on your smartphone
Google search 'torque app', 'torque pro app'
Old 01-06-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When I got the off lease '13 EX. Got an imid CE display while still under 36k. Ran it in and it was "purge" something.....in less then 24 hrs the msg was gone.

I had requested they clean up under the hood, they do a hell of a job....this may have been a factor.