Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

Engine block crack - Out of warranty options

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NKaufman is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine block crack - Out of warranty options

Hello,

Now that most owners are out of warranty for the engine block issue, I'm wondering what the options are in case misfortune strikes us.

What are people thinking of?

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2017
Registered!!

maracuch0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine block crack - Out of warranty options

Honestly, I sold mine (2009 EX sedan). I recently hit 110k miles and it was starting to give me problems (regular problems, not cracked engine block). I bought the car @ 90k miles in March and just sold mine two weeks ago. Since then, had to do regular maintenance ( new brakes, new motor mount, new fluids, new starter, new battery, new axles, power steering pump, and recently cooling problems which I didn't bother to fix). Pretty sure major problems were coming soon (water pump, and tranny problems). Dropped a lot of money in those 9 months, so it was a gamble for me since I drive a lot for my job. When I bought the car, I did not know about the cracked engine block. I found out like a couple weeks ago and that just swayed me to even get rid of the car asap. Honda should be offering lifetime warranty for those with cracked engine block models. 10 years is not long enough.
Old 12-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKaufman
what the options are in case misfortune strikes us.
Replace engine with used.
Old 12-31-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You could try to dump the coolant, then plaster the crack with an automotive epoxy. Don't cheap out, get one from an auto parts store, which specifies high heat and metal use, preferably "aluminumweld" if you can find it. Let the epoxy sit until it is completely hardened. Then refill the coolant.

It may not work but it's a cheap fix if it does.

AND PLEASE LET US KNOW IF IT DOES WORK, SO WE CAN HELP OTHER USERS WITH THE SAME ISSUE.

Or take it to someone that welds aluminum and see if they can weld over the crack (how ever if this goes wrong the crack could turn into a hole).
Old 01-01-2018
Registered!!

Boosted Turtle is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this count for k series engines too? And when it does occur then I guest its time for the rsx type S swap
Old 01-01-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

If its a small leak were talking about I would definatley try useing a bottle of K-sealer in the coolant Best and safest sealer around for aluminium,or cast iron engines or plastics found in cooling system.." "highly recommended by professional tech"s especially for head gasket problems.." good reviews as well..

The following users liked this post:
chatienoire (03-21-2020)
Old 01-01-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boosted Turtle
Does this count for k series engines too?
Absolutely not. Only certain early R engines.... Search this forum for more details if you want
Old 01-01-2018
Registered!!

maracuch0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boosted Turtle
Does this count for k series engines too? And when it does occur then I guest its time for the rsx type S swap
The R18s engines from 2006-2009 models.
Old 01-01-2018

The R18s engines from 2006-2009 models.
2006 to early 2009. Not all 2009 were affected/included.

Earlier post was made from my phone, I couldn't research the details.
Old 01-25-2018
Registered!!

mrlittlejohn is an unknown quantity at this point

I just became aware of this engine cracking problem. I realize my recently purchased 2008 Civic sedan is in the realm of possible block failure. I saw a TB through a consumer reports page that Honda will replace short block or engine up to 10 years. I am reaching that point. I see some failed way back at 17K miles even.

My 08 has 175K miles, can I consider my engine block to not be in the failure possibility? It sounds like they had some bad castings to cause the failures. I am hoping this is the case.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Mike
Old 01-26-2018

Originally Posted by mrlittlejohn

My 08 has 175K miles, can I consider my engine block to not be in the failure possibility? It sounds like they had some bad castings to cause the failures. I am hoping this is the case.
Can't ever rule it out, and at the same time you can't predict that it will ever happen either.

Certainly not all of them develop the issue, the percentage of failures seems to be quite low out of the huge total number on the roads.
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SuperSocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25
You could try to dump the coolant, then plaster the crack with an automotive epoxy. Don't cheap out, get one from an auto parts store, which specifies high heat and metal use, preferably "aluminumweld" if you can find it. Let the epoxy sit until it is completely hardened. Then refill the coolant.

It may not work but it's a cheap fix if it does.

AND PLEASE LET US KNOW IF IT DOES WORK, SO WE CAN HELP OTHER USERS WITH THE SAME ISSUE.

Or take it to someone that welds aluminum and see if they can weld over the crack (how ever if this goes wrong the crack could turn into a hole).
Yes, I have done the Aluminum Epoxy on my cracked engine block and so far so good. I've to date put 10K on the car and still no sign of coolant leaking. My crack was in the coolant jacket around the piston. I had to tear down the engine to the head gasket. Make sure you pop the water pump to drain all remaining coolant. Once all the coolant was gone I cleaned out the coolant jacket meticulously using small brushes, a pick and compressed air and also cleaned with acetone. I heated up the liquid aluminum with a hair dryer after mixing it up just so it poured a bit runnier. Poured it in the jacket and left it for a day to fully cure. Put back together and like I said it has been working great so far. I would recommend this fix as it's a lot cheaper than a new engine.

Two part liquid aluminum

Also heated up the jacket before pouring in the resin.

The crack was very small but you can see it here at bottom of jacket

After filled with aluminum epoxy
The following users liked this post:
mililani (06-30-2020)