Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Suspension Rattle

Old 12-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11CoupeEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Suspension Rattle

Looking for a little help finding the source of a couple rattles in my 2011 Civic coupe. It's making an annoying rattle over harder bumps that seems to have 2 sources - right rear and left rear. I hear it a lot better at low speeds, but I suppose road noise washes out the sound somewhat. Railroad tracks definitely bring it out. I had the shocks replaced and I installed new sway bar end links and bushings. I suspected the rear shocks weren't up against the car tightly, but I had the shop check that out and they said they're tight. I got under the car and pried on all the bushings, but I don't see any movement that I wouldn't expect from a rubber bushing. I'm suspecting the upper control arms, mainly because they show some rust. I'll try to attach a picture.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be most likely causing this noise? I hate to just buy parts hoping it'll go away, but that may be what I have to do.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Rear Suspension Rattle

Assuming it isn't something you own inside the car that is loose and bouncing around. Jack, tools, spare all tight and in position.
Old 12-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Assuming it isn't something you own inside the car that is loose and bouncing around. Jack, tools, spare all tight and in position.
Roger that. I went as far as removing the trunk mat, spare, tire tools and side mats so I could hear it better.
Old 12-07-2017
Registered!!

Actually, it doesn't require harder bumps to produce the rattle. A very small bump does it, as long as it happens fairly rapidly. I can drive slowly through my large yard and produce the rattle.
Old 12-07-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Moved because its not a DIY article.

Did you check the heat shields?
Old 12-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Moved because its not a DIY article.

Did you check the heat shields?
I've looked at everything, yeah. Took a mallet and tapped everything. Everything's in place and nothing seems loose. It's definitely associated with the suspension. Two rattles that sound exactly the same. One left, one right. Kind of a mid-frequency knock/rattle most every time I go over a bump. In town, over pavement creases it does it every time.
Old 12-07-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Have to ask,
wheels are tight?
Old 12-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Have to ask,
wheels are tight?
Sure. I've had them off. Torqued to about 100ft lbs.
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

Update. I bought and installed a set of rear upper control arms, and crossed my fingers. No dice. Gave the entire rear end another good going over, especially the suspension. I found nothing that didn't seem right up to snuff. No slop anywhere. I decided to remove the shocks. The mounts all seemed good and tight and proper. The shocks seemed normal in their action. Found no play anywhere. So I drove the car without the shocks, and the noises from the left and right rear both vanished. So, back to the place that sold me the shocks. I don't see a brand name on them, but I got the lowest priced ones they had for my car. So my cheap shocks cost me a lot of headache and a set upper of control arms I didn't need. I hope the Car-X place where I bought them does me right with some better quality shocks. These are obviously defective. I had hoped I'd find that the mounts were somehow causing the problem, but I found no issues and neither did the guy at the Car-X. Anyway, don't buy cheap shocks.
Old 12-20-2017
Registered!!

I typed a reply, but it didn't seem to make it to the thread, so I'll try again.

I replaced the upper control arms hoping that was the source of the rattle/knock. No dice. I removed both rear shocks and went over some bumps - no noise whatsoever. The mounting points are not the issue. The noise is definitely not coming from the upper mounting point. I put the rear seats down and had my buddy drive over bumps while I laid in the back. The noise was coming from below the trunk floor, and not the upper shock mounting point. The lower mounting points seem just fine. The shocks cinch up tight and there's no undue slop between the bolt and the sleeve. So... the cheap shocks HAVE to be the problem. Back to the shop Friday for replacements. I guess the moral of the story is that cheap shocks aren't worth the savings. The guy at the shop said they were Gabriel brand. I'd prefer to get a better shock, but the guy at the shop seems to want to put the same ones on because it would be covered by warranty and wouldn't cost me more. At this point I don't care. I'd prefer to get a refund and pay the extra for better shocks. I'll follow up when this is resolved.