Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2012 Shudder & Jerk

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017
Buckeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buckeye is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Shudder & Jerk

2012 Honda Civil LX, Automatic 1.8L, 156K, no performance mods
Symptoms: I’ve noticed a loss of power on acceleration and a ‘bogging down’ in general performance.When driving at 45-65, and I lift my foot off the accelerator, then resume acceleration, there is a jerk/shudder or two before the car resumes normal driving/acceleration. This happen all the time.

Maintenance performed: All routine service performed by Honda (except: brakes / tires / air & cabin filters / spark plugs)

Thoughts: Fuels filters need replaced?Plug wires need replaced? Catalytic converter? O2 sensor? Other ideas?
Old 12-06-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2012 Shudder & Jerk

Possibly a worn or broken motor mount.
Old 12-06-2017
Buckeye

Thanks...I'll add that to list of items to check.
Old 12-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Shudder?

How frequently has the trans fluid been serviced with Hondas fluid?
Old 12-06-2017
Buckeye

I guess the best way to describe the 'shudder' would be a quick double-jerk back & forth motion x2.
All hte service has been done at Honda per the maintenance schedule.
Old 12-06-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Have your Honda dealer people test drive it and evaluate the trans issues.

You may need to demonstrate your complaints to the tech on a test drive so everyone knows what the problem is.
Old 12-06-2017
Buckeye

I figured that would be involved, but I wanted to narrow down the possible causes prior.
Old 12-06-2017

Got any fault codes?
Old 12-06-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buckeye
All hte service has been done at Honda per the maintenance schedule.
65K is too long an interval.... 30K is more realistic.

You have COP, no plug wires.
Old 12-06-2017
Buckeye

ezone...no fault codes.

CraigW...COP?
Old 12-06-2017

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Coil On Plug
Old 12-11-2017
Buckeye

Worn right engine mount is the diagnosis. Part ordered and will be replaced upon arrival. I'll follow up if the mount does not resolve the issue. Thank you to all who provided thier input to the issue.
Old 12-11-2017

Thanks for update !!!
Old 12-18-2017
Buckeye

So the right engine mount arrived and was installed without issue. Straight forward install (5 bolts & 2 nuts)...and Honda waned $600 for what took me 30 minutes. Anyways...The shutter has been reduced a great deal but not completely. My thoughts is either the torque rod or transmission mount(s) also need replaced. Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

My thoughts is either the torque rod or transmission mount(s) also need replaced. Thoughts?
Once, one mount fails others may soon follow so wouldn't be surprising if the transmission mount may be an issue. Have you perfromed another mounts test since replacment along with a thorough visual inspection?
Old 12-19-2017
Buckeye

Not as of yet. I figured with 156K miles and with one worn out, it would hurt to replace all of the mounts. The overall cost isn't bad so I will replace them (transmission mount & lower torque mount) and let you know the outcome.
Old 12-19-2017

Not as of yet. I figured with 156K miles and with one worn out, it would hurt to replace all of the mounts. The overall cost isn't bad so I will replace them (transmission mount & lower torque mount) and let you know the outcome.
Old 12-30-2017
Buckeye

So having replaced the engine mount I went to get a quote to have the transmission mount replaced (its finally winter in Northern VA and I have no garage). In talking with the tech, he suggested we see if there are any 'soft codes' as he didn't think the transmission mount was the issue. He pulled 2 codes (1 general and 1 Honda specific):
General Code: P0497
1. EVAP Small Purge Flow
2. EVAP System Low Purge Flow Detexcted
Honda Specific: P145C
EVAP System Purge Flow Malfunction

So, as of now, I have a replacement EVAP Purge Valve ordered and will report back once it's replaced.
Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

maverickfhs is an unknown quantity at this point

I see you are in Northern Virginia, just like me and has been brutally cold to work on the car. Sorry, I digress - if you are talking about the transmission mount present right in front of engine oil pan, then usually you can test it out.

I pulled mine out(thanks to EZ) last year while had 191K miles and it was in great condition, worth checking it out before you throw your money on a new part - of course, your call

OEM is ~$40-$50, used OEM can be a good alternate option. Curious about 2 things, how many miles ago did you replace ATF fluid? Any idea how many miles ago air filter was replaced and if it's OEM?
Old 01-05-2018
Buckeye

Maverickfhs,
The weather here sucks for working on cars without a garage. I have the parts and if they ever indicate needing replaced, I'll do the job. Hopefully with sunshine and singing birds versus snowflakes and icicle's..., but I too digress.
As for the ATF fluid, it was done recently. As I stated earlier, all maintenance is on the Honda schedule, so the ATF was changed at X miles. As for the air filter, I replaced the OEM with a K&N shortly after getting the car. Been using them for years and love them. Just to be sure, I pulled it when replacing the emissions purge valve, and it was clear of debris.

So an update: after replacing the emissions canister purge valve, the problem has subsided greatly, but is still present. Instead of being hard jerks & shudders, it's more of a hic-cup. I'm going to go back to the shop and have them pull any codes that may be present. Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2018

So an update: after replacing the emissions canister purge valve, the problem has subsided greatly, but is still present. Instead of being hard jerks & shudders, it's more of a hic-cup. I'm going to go back to the shop and have them pull any codes that may be present. Thoughts?
Has the o2 sensor ever been replaced (with OEM Denso/NTK)?
Any change in mpg's since shudder issue?
Is there an external fuel fiter?..if so, last time replaced?

Is spark quality up to par?
Almost sounds like a cylinder misfire that's not throwing a code. Try performing a power-balance (rpm drop) test.
Old 01-05-2018
Buckeye

The O2 sensor has not been replaced.
After replace the valve, the MPG was down, but this morning after filling-up, they jumped back to where they were prior.
Not sure about external filter...so I'd say no.
Haven't pulled a plug to check.
How do you perform a power-balance (rpm drop) test?
Old 01-05-2018

The O2 sensor has not been replaced.
After replace the valve, the MPG was down, but this morning after filling-up, they jumped back to where they were prior.
Not sure about external filter...so I'd say no.
Haven't pulled a plug to check.
As shown in video except lift coil's instead of removing harness. Lifting coils let you hear spark as well. After you do a drop test by lifting coils..replace all coils and remove fuel injector harness one at a time and listen for rpm's to drop.

Old 01-05-2018
Buckeye

Thanks Mega...I'll give a test when my fingers won't freeze in the process.
Old 01-05-2018

I'm going to go back to the shop and have them pull any codes that may be present.
Buy your own code reader or scanner app!
Google 'torque pro app'

You're gonna cause misfire fault codes by doing this.

Power balance test is manually hunting for a cylinder with little or no contribution. If the engine had a weak or dead cylinder you would have a flashing CEL with corresponding misfire codes, usually along with a low power problem.
Old 01-05-2018
Buckeye

The power balance test proved negative and there were no additional codes.
Old 01-05-2018

The power balance test proved negative and there were no additional codes.
Did you perform it by disconnecting injector harness also?

Going back to your original post:
"Symptoms: I’ve noticed a loss of power on acceleration and a ‘bogging down’ in general performance.When driving at 45-65, and I lift my foot off the accelerator, then resume acceleration, there is a jerk/shudder or two before the car resumes normal driving/acceleration."

After motor mounts and evap system was solved are you still feeling loss of power on acceleration and decreased performance?

This toque conversion lock-up shudder read may or may not be related: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/203
Old 01-07-2018
Buckeye

Mega,
After making the repairs, the acceleration and the bogging down seems improved. When I filled the tank on Friday, the display milage indicated 40mpg, which has happened. However, I normally average 32-34mpg. After normal driving over the weekend (both surface & highway), I'm averaging <30mpg, which is odd.
I checked the ATF fluid and it seems a bit dark, so I'm thinking of getting it changed. I think this is in line with the link you provided. The article describes what I'm experiencing.
Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2018

I checked the ATF fluid and it seems a bit dark, so I'm thinking of getting it changed. I think this is in line with the link you provided. The article describes what I'm experiencing.Thoughts?
Ezone mentioned in reply #4 ATF change interval. Has ATF been replaced previously and if so how many miles ago? If it's been more than 30k miles ago it would be good to do a 3x3 drain and fill and an external filter replacement (if it has one). If an ATF change doesn't solve the issue you may want to (at your discretion) add this product:
https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-19610-Tranny-Instant-Shudder/dp/B0002JMLQU https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-19610-Tranny-Instant-Shudder/dp/B0002JMLQU
Make sure it's compatible with your transmission.
Old 01-20-2018
Buckeye

The latest updates: About 1 week ago, I had Honda change the ATF fluid. When I asked the service tech about doing a 3x Drain & Fill, she said they don't do that. So, they drained what they could and refilled. The symptoms are still there. So, with warmer weather in Virginia and the government shutdown, I will be doing the 3x Drain & Fill in the hopes it resolves the issue.

My questions...between each Drain & Fill, is there a set mileage needed to be driven to optimize getting rid of the old fluid? Or is there something specific that I need to do?