Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Leaking water on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gigga is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaking water on passenger side

I own a 2012 Honda Civic EX and also has a leak in the passenger footwell. I pulled up the mat and see this black plastic casing. I pushed down on it and water comes out. Does anyone know what this casing is for and how to remove it and what might cause a leak of water into it. The leak is from the rain. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Attached is a picture.
Old 11-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leak somewhere on passenger side

I think that black part in the pic is the firewall sound deadener. It's like a layer of rubber with half inch thick wool felt under it, and it soaks up a LOT of water.

That sound deadener itself cannot leak, it's simply pushed up against the firewall before the dashboard related stuff was installed. Leak has to be coming from somewhere though.

Has it ever had a windshield replaced?
Stereo/amplifier hot wire coming thru the firewall?

See if the drain hose for the evaporator case is detached.
See if sunroof drain tube is out of place allowing water to reach the floor.
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

Re: Leaking water on passenger side

Ezone,
Thank you for replying. Windshield has not been replaced. Not sure if hot wire is coming thru the firewall. I will look at youtube to see how I can locate the evap case drain hose and the drain tube for the sunroof. Can the sunroof drain cause the front passenger footwell to be soaking and nothing else? The funny thing was that my driver's side was wet first and now that's dry, the passenger side is wet.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-24-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if hot wire is coming thru the firewall.
Only if someone ever installed a sub and amp.
The funny thing was that my driver's side was wet first and now that's dry, the passenger side is wet.
Lift up carpet....Front, rear, both sides...... you'll probably find the padding underneath is still soaked far more than what's wet on top. If the front is wet, water has probably made it to the rear seat foot area too. Under the carpet.

It will eventually stink of mildew if you can't get it all cleaned and dried out.

Can the sunroof drain cause the front passenger footwell to be soaking and nothing else?
Sure.
Front sunroof drain tubes come down the two A pillars and probably exit thru the sheetmetal to the outside somewhere behind the kick panels. Look for black plastic or rubber tubing maybe 1/2-3/4 inch diameter.

Evaporator drain tube is attached to the heater/AC housing, starts on top of the center tunnel and snakes toward the passengers front footrest area, I think it exits out the firewall. Also a black rubber tube.
Old 11-25-2017
Registered!!

do you live in north florida so you can help me look for the leak?

i will do this when i get back from my vacation.
Old 11-25-2017
Registered!!

that's a lot of work to lift up the entire carpet. hope it's all dried up when i get back.
Old 11-25-2017
Registered!!

How would I check to see if the tubes are blocked?
Old 11-25-2017

Originally Posted by Gigga
do you live in north florida so you can help me look for the leak?
No, sorry.

that's a lot of work to lift up the entire carpet. hope it's all dried up when i get back.
Not really. Pull off the trims along door sills and stick your hand down under the carpet to feel the padding and floor.

Water trapped under the carpet won't dry anytime soon. It will mildew before it dries out on its own.

If you really want to find the source, sometimes pulling the carpet out makes it a lot easier to find where water is really entering at.
How would I check to see if the tubes are blocked?
Not blocked, blocked would make water not drain out of the roof area. that makes a huge mess in the roof.....
You're looking for more like detached tubes in the kick panel areas.

Open the roof, pour water into the drain hole(s) in front. Water should drain out behind the front wheels.
Old 11-25-2017

Also....cowl drains, body seam sealer issues, roof seam, roof gutters, evap drain clogged, windshield.........

Old 11-25-2017
Registered!!

Thank you
Old 12-03-2017
Registered!!

When I hosed the right side of car/windshield, I noticed the leak in the corner where the yellowish section is, up behind the black plastic. Any ideas? I didnt spray the sunroof.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_121636.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	1,017.5 KB
ID:	111842  
Old 12-05-2017

I noticed the leak in the corner where the yellowish section is, up behind the black plastic.
You'll have to follow it to see where the water entry starts at.

Or wet small specific areas on the outside, to figure when water starts entering the inside, that might narrow it down to a smaller general area.

Wiper cowl panel area? Fender area?
Old 12-06-2017
Registered!!

To follow it, I have to get the sound deadener thingy off, right? i dont know how to do that.
That's what Im going to do this weekend. just pour it in a little at a time. rain's gonna come again tonight so i covered that section with some plastic.
thanks.
Old 12-06-2017

To follow it, I have to get the sound deadener thingy off, right? i dont know how to do that.
Only far enough to figure out where the leak comes in, not peel the entire layer off....that probably would require pulling the entire dashboard out.

Pull up what you can and hold it out of the way so you can see if water enters somewhere it was covering

Flop open the glovebox all the way to the floor and peep around the blower housing and air intake area where the blower attaches to the underside of the cowl area. Use a good flashlight, have someone else hose down the outside while you watch from inside?
Old 12-07-2017
Registered!!

ok. i wish i have a friend who is like you. many guys i know dont know much about cars.
Old 12-07-2017
Registered!!

ok, thanks! i wish i have a friend who is like you. many guys i know dont know much about cars.
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Ezone,
Still havent' found my leak. I thought the windshield drain pan was clogged but doesnt seem so. Im still looking. Do you have any idea why i have a couple of drops of some liquid thats greasy. Doesn't smell or anything. I cant find anything online about it. But the drops are right on the carpet, back right side. Any ideas?
thanks.
Old 12-15-2017

Do you have any idea why i have a couple of drops of some liquid thats greasy. Doesn't smell or anything. I cant find anything online about it. But the drops are right on the carpet, back right side.
Got pics of where?
Color?
What's directly above the drops?
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

I didn't take pics. Picture u r sitting on the center of the backseat and about 4 inches right from the center and on the carpet. I looked up and the ceiling is dry. Such a mystery. I touched it and it felt greasy and under my passenger seat, I have a brown paper bag there that looks greasy also. Under the seat doesnt feel wet. And there's no color of the fluid.
Maybe I should sell my car.
Old 12-15-2017

Such a mystery. I touched it and it felt greasy and under my passenger seat, I have a brown paper bag there that looks greasy also. Under the seat doesnt feel wet. And there's no color of the fluid.
Meh....Witchcraft.

Work on finding the water leak.
Old 12-16-2017
Registered!!

Never mind. I think it's from damprid. Somehow a couple of those ***** went to the back side.
Is there some kind of sealant under the cowl? I poured water down the cowl and it leaks. But I pulled the cowl and looked at the windshield drain and there doesnt seem to be anything blocked. I just used a small pot of water and poured it down the cowl and i see the leak in the corner.
Thanks for replying.
Old 12-16-2017

Sounds like you're narrowing it down

You could pull the center section (?) of the wiper cowl panel out (black panel), Get a good light and look around. Probably lots of body seam sealer covering places where body panels meet or overlap. That's the stuff that looks like caulking, and it's probably been painted body color on the outside areas.

If problem is not found there, then pulling the plastic wheelwell liner out might be a next step.....so you can see up inside between the fender and cabin areas. Mirror and flashlight....

Spray dishsoapy water all over suspect areas and turn on the blower fan on fresh air with the windows rolled up, see if it blows bubbles anywhere

Kinda seems likely there's a bad spot in the seam sealer, or not enough was applied (a gap) somewhere.
Old 12-16-2017
Registered!!

I found this guy's solution to a leak problem that sounds like mine.
"I found where the leak's coming from.. it seems to come out from a worn seal ( the one that honda uses to stick metal to metal) at the back of the dash board...Its not from the hole where the wires go into the cabin (where i expected it to be) I think mine could be somewhat a factory error.. maybe they applied a thinner sealant than what their suppose to apply, that's why, over time, water penetrated??

Oh well, I applied some weatherproof silicone rubber sealant thingy on that area... it was really hard to reach!! but hopefully it'll do it.. Ill test it after 1 week, but for now, ill have to let it dry.."

How do I find this seal? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-16-2017

it seems to come out from a worn seal ( the one that honda uses to stick metal to metal)
I'd guess that's probably seam sealer like I described.
Old 12-16-2017
Registered!!

Im trying to find what and where it is exactly in a youtube video but so far I found nothing.
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

Is it possible that the worn spongy seal on the cowl is the source of the leak? with it off, it doesnt leak. when we put it back on, it leaks. thx.
Old 12-17-2017

Is it possible that the worn spongy seal on the cowl is the source of the leak? with it off, it doesnt leak. when we put it back on, it leaks. thx.
Think of how that is re-routing water away from or toward the entry point. Find that entry point.

I can't see what chunks of the cowl you are dealing with, and I can't see what seal(s) you are referring to.
A pic is worth 1000 words, and all that.
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

I should have taken a pic of it. It's just the spongy stuff thats under and around the cowl.

Originally Posted by ezone
Think of how that is re-routing water away from or toward the entry point. Find that entry point.

I can't see what chunks of the cowl you are dealing with, and I can't see what seal(s) you are referring to.
A pic is worth 1000 words, and all that.
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

I think I finally found a post that fits my problem:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-...tegra-2548435/