Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! Coil pack wires eaten by critter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beck Jolin is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! Coil pack wires eaten by critter

When I started up my car this morning I had 3 dash lights go off (emission, power steering, and traction control) and the car didn't feel right. My husband and I decided to take it around the block and see if it improved, it didn't. I recently had to remove the body of a critter from under my hood (yes sad I know), so I had a strange feeling and popped the hood. Sure enough there was all sorts of grasses and twigs around my engine and I discovered that the critter had chewed through the wires that go to two of the four wire sets that go to the coil packs. I need to replace those wires, but I can't find them in any part searches online. I know this used to be an easy fix on older engines, what do I do? Any help is much appreciated!
2013 Honda Civic EX-L 4 door 4 cyl

Last edited by Beck Jolin; 10-15-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 10-15-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! Coil pack wires eaten by critter

either repair the wires (cut and splice) or replace the entire engine wiring harness.

Part number 32200-TS8-A70, list price is $825.20, looking at $561.14+shipping on hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 10-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Cut and splice IMO. I'd also protect/insulate my splices with glue-lined heat shrink tubing to keep them weather tight and permanent enough to outlast the rest of the car.

Splicing and patching wiring should be a fundamental skill of any decent mechanic (even if they can't diagnose why it runs bad in the first place).

I repair rodent damage like that all the time (farm belt here). It's gotta be a huge mess before I want to replace a complete harness, and when there's enough damage to be at that point many people get their insurance company involved due to insane expense.
Old 10-15-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Glue lined heat shrink tubing is a thing? That would have saved me so many headaches over the years
Old 10-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Glue lined heat shrink tubing is a thing? That would have saved me so many headaches over the years
You betcha.
Google it: 'Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing'.... but when heated it looks very much like the goo from a hot glue gun.
Old 10-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your insurance. My son had a critter eat some wiring on his Ford pick up. The damage was fully paid for under his comprehensive insurance.