Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

06 Civic lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ejwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
06 Civic lack of power

I have an '06 Civic EX. Last week I put it in park for a minute to get out and do something, and when I got back in and put it in reverse I barely had enough power to move the car. The check engine light also came on. No RPMs or anything, just an almost complete lack of response from the accelerator. I put it in drive, same thing. Turned the car off and on, and power came back. Drove it around for a few miles and the same thing happened two more times. I took it to a shop and they ran diagnostics on it, determined that the issue was a bad battery, and replaced it. It ran fine for about 4 days and ~1,000 miles after that. Then today I went to move it and when I turned it on it had no power again and the check engine light came back on. The mechanic I talked to said that the check engine light indicated a possible bad wheel speed sensor but he acted as though that was a separate issue from the power loss. Anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas before I take it back to a shop?
Old 10-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 06 Civic lack of power

Start with getting an actual fault code number for the check engine light
Old 10-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ejwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 10-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That code P1659 is for the ETCS, the electronic throttle control system. Control relay OFF malfunction is the definition.

If this fault is intermittent.....I'd be looking first for the ETCS system relay to be failing, having a voltage drop through its contacts or no contact sometimes when activated....(To check, swap relay with a good one and see if code stays away)