Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Trans Fluid Smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prplglide is an unknown quantity at this point
Trans Fluid Smell

Hello,

We recently took a trip to Canada for fishing (roughly 1,600 miles round trip) and after about the 500 mile mark, we noticed the smell of transmission fluid when we stopped for lights or stop signs. As soon as we got underway again, it stopped.

When we pulled over, I checked for trans leaks and had none. I then checked the trans fluid level and it was within the acceptable marks on the dipstick.

There were no issues with shifting or any other transmission issues on any part of the trip.

About a week prior to the trip, I had drained the fluid and replaced it with Redline D4ATF. I drove it around town and a few small trips (less than 30 miles round trip) and everything was fine. No smells or any kind or shifting issues.

Prior to my changing the fluid, there was NEVER any kind of transmission fluid smell during ANY kind of driving.

I've changed the trans fluid before but I can't recall what kind I used. Did I use the wrong type of fluid?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trans Fluid Smell

what model & year is it..? it could be some trans fluid got left behind or splashed

underneath some where when you changed it.?
Old 07-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
what model & year is it..? it could be some trans fluid got left behind or splashed

underneath some where when you changed it.?

Yeah, that would help, huh?

It's a 2007 Civic coupe.

I did a quick look-see and didn't see anything that jumped out at me when I was along side the highway. It's kinda difficult to do a full diagnosis when other cars are zipping by at 65 mph.
Old 07-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hot brake smell?
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Hot brake smell?

Maybe. To me, it smelled more like trans fluid after it had foamed up. It didn't smell burnt, just like a bottle of trans fluid had just been opened.