Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

P0843, Metal Shavings, Can't Shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sierrawindy is an unknown quantity at this point
P0843, Metal Shavings, Can't Shift

2009 Civic, auto. No issues except a recent problem with sluggish shifting from 1st to 2nd, but very slight. Driving to work last week and engine light pops up and D starts flashing. Run a diagnostic and get P0843 for my 2nd gear pressure switch / circuit high. Car will no longer shift into 4th or 5th (shifts okay 1-3, with a bit of lag between 1-2). Just bought the car last May, so figured I would start by changing the tranny fluid, which led me to find metal shavings - they are magnetic. I have a new 2nd gear pressure switch coming today, but before I just go replacing parts, I want to do a couple other things. Someone suggested pulling my solenoids off and checking for blockage / wear. I obviously need to change my transmission fluid filter because I didn't d that part and now have it easily accessible, and not "flush" the fluid, but do one more drain and fill (I drove the car around for a few to try to mix it through). Help! I'm fully capable of doing any of the work myself - I just need some direction. I know there are other posts on similar, very similar, issues. But, I really need some individual guidance lol. Hopefully there is a kind person out there with nothing better to do.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	89721  
Old 04-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0843, Metal Shavings, Can't Shift

*clicks thumbnail* HOLY CRAP that doesn't look good. I don't recognize what it may have been, but it's not supposed to vomit solid pieces out like that.
Got weird noises from the transmission?

Were those stuck to the drainplug magnet?

How many miles on the car/trans?

Drainplug magnet will usually have 'hair' growing out of it, that's pretty typical as mileage accumulates. Wipe it off during the fluid service and reinstall.

Pressure switch(es) failing is common, could be an intermittent or continuous fail, or rodent chewed the wire off of the switch (also common in my area). As long as the pressure switch gives the computer no input, the trans may do odd things.
So if the wiring is okay, then replace the pressure switch in question first and see how it drives with a good switch in it.

If the pressure switch code is the result of whatever came apart inside that you found pieces of, I guess you will find out how bad it is pretty quick after the fluid service and switch replacement.
Old 02-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrei Iachim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I have the same problem How did you solve it?
Old 02-24-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrei Iachim
Hi. I have the same problem How did you solve it?
Most with the code just need the appropriate pressure switch replaced.

In my area I see a lot of gnawed wires (rodent damage) that can cause the same code.