Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Honda Civic AT Transmission noise after rebuild

Old 11-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaStErK1Ra is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2007 Honda Civic AT Transmission noise after rebuild

Hello. I'm having the following issue after performing a full rebuild on my AT transmission. I did a full rebuild; replaced frictions, seals, and gasket. Transmission was not slipping, but I decided to open it because of bad differential bearings. I replaced both bearings and the idle shaft bearing too. I bought this car just a few months ago, and I don't know its maintenance history. The only thing I can say is that this is not the first time I do a full rebuild, but this is for sure the first time I run into an Honda transmission with this level of wear and damage. Basically, after doing everything and putting it back to the car, i got a clunk noise that is driving me crazy.

I already opened 5 times, and so far i have not been capable of identifying the problem. The noise seems to come from the input shaft, and is variable with RPMs. I already tried 3 different torque converters, with no luck.

The differential noise is gone, and the Transmission shift without any issue. I need help to find the source of this clucking noise that was not there before i opened it.

I uploaded 2 videos of the noise, one at low rpms and one at high rpm. I will appreciate your help!!

low rpm:

high rpms:
Old 11-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Honda Civic AT Transmission noise after rebuild

Does it make noise in all gears, or just neutral?

I'm thinking an issue within the pump. Misalignment, or somehow damaged during assembly?

Note, in the shop I work for we don't rebuild in-house...so I've not had the pleasure of rebuilding a Honda automatic trans myself.
Old 11-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaStErK1Ra is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2007 Honda Civic AT Transmission noise after rebuild

It makes the noise on all gears , but it shift perfectly. I let it running almost 2 hours expecting to get at least a sing of metal contact inside, but no luck so far.
It seems like the transmission went throug bad maintenance on its previous owner, because there was damage to the diff bearings at only 127k. Before I opened , it didnt have this clunk noise, only the bearing noise. Now the bearings are ok but I have this new issue.
Something interesting that got my attention went I opened the first time : the fluid seems to have some kind of additive, like Lucas oil or something similar because it was heavier than usual. I think that this caused a bad lubricantion and ended damagin the bearings.
Sometimes I think than the noise is the selector acting up , but I went through the valve body several times and everything looks ok.

I have done this job several times in the past, and this is the first time I ran into this problem.

Search this Thread