Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Engine oil leak. Where it comes from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abedin is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine oil leak. Where it comes from?

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the forum and in cars in general. I have had a 2013 Honda Civic EX for about two weeks. My car was parked for two days and yesterday, when I moved my car, I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground. I managed to track the oil leak under the hood and I think I can see where it comes from. I am attaching two images of where I think the leak is coming from. One of the images is just a blow out. The leak is easily visible and also there are a few drops behind that hose.
However, I have no clue what this part is called. Is it carburetor? Do you guys think that it is a blown head gasket issue?
I apologize in advance about the naive questions I may be asking.
Your help though will be highly appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1.jpg
Views:	12123
Size:	873.8 KB
ID:	89101

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine2.jpg
Views:	9005
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	89102
Old 09-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine oil leak. Where it comes from?

The fitting you point at is the PCV valve, or crankcase breather vent/valve/tube. Not a common leakage point IMO and would not leave a puddle on the ground.

I would START a leak inspection by raising the car, removing the splash shields and looking from underneath the engine compartment.

Has there been any recent engine work?
Recent oil change?
If someone spilled oil near the fill cap on top, it would probably end up covering the area you point at in the pictures. Also possible someone forgot to tighten the drain plug or oil filter. Return to your service provider for recheck?

If leakage is completely unrelated to recent service, there are two areas that are somewhat common to leak. The small black plate directly below your arrows, held on by 3 small bolts, and another larger plate on the back of the block partially covered by the intake manifold. Either plate may need removed and resealed.

Is the car still in warranty?
What's your powertrain warranty up there? 5 years/96k km?
Down here it's 5 year/60,000 miles, if in warranty have the dealer check it out.
Old 09-14-2016
Registered!!

You've actually made a good point. I recently had it serviced at Honda and they said that I had a oil leak from the time chain (inspection cap) or something like that. They assured me that its not a blown gasket. But I am starting to worry. How come after a recent seal, there is still a leak. Perhaps, the best way is to go ahead and take the car back to Honda for inspection. By the way, although the car is only at 27000 km, it is not under warranty, because of a serious front collision at 7000 km.
Old 09-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

nd they said that I had a oil leak from the time chain (inspection cap) or something like that. They assured me that its not a blown gasket. But I am starting to worry. How come after a recent seal, there is still a leak.
Sounds like the small cover with 3 bolts in the pics. LOoks like it has fairly fresh gray sealant around the edges.
It was recently resealed? Maybe nobody cleaned off the residue left from the leak, or maybe it's still leaking, or maybe it's a different fault altogether.

Perhaps, the best way is to go ahead and take the car back to Honda for inspection
Many possibilities. Return for recheck.
Old 09-14-2016
Registered!!

Thank you so much for your assistance. I appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2020
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
DYNAMICAL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Engine oil leak. Where it comes from?

Originally Posted by ezone
The fitting you point at is the PCV valve, or crankcase breather vent/valve/tube. Not a common leakage point IMO and would not leave a puddle on the ground.

I would START a leak inspection by raising the car, removing the splash shields and looking from underneath the engine compartment.

Has there been any recent engine work?
Recent oil change?
If someone spilled oil near the fill cap on top, it would probably end up covering the area you point at in the pictures. Also possible someone forgot to tighten the drain plug or oil filter. Return to your service provider for recheck?

If leakage is completely unrelated to recent service, there are two areas that are somewhat common to leak. The small black plate directly below your arrows, held on by 3 small bolts, and another larger plate on the back of the block partially covered by the intake manifold. Either plate may need removed and resealed.

Is the car still in warranty?
What's your powertrain warranty up there? 5 years/96k km?
Down here it's 5 year/60,000 miles, if in warranty have the dealer check it out.

Hello sir, I have a oil leak where that black plate is in the OP's pic. Can you tell me if there is a gasket for this? What is the proper fix? What is the correct term to identify this black plate? Thank you!
Old 12-23-2020
Registered!!

bob961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I have oil leakage and I need help from where it might be. I am not able to know the leakage place. Thanks.