Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

ABS and Brake System dashlights on after changing LCA's and draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aminus21 is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS and Brake System dashlights on after changing LCA's and draining battery

Hello all,

This weekend I changed both LCA's and sway bar end links. The two mistakes I made (live and learn right) is that:

1. When I disconnected the spindle to shock (two 17mm bolts) and pulled the spindle out of the way, I forgot to remove the ABS speed sensor, so there was some tension on the wire for a few seconds. I then noticed it and removed the speed sensor. The wire didn't rip, but there was tension on there, don't know if it messed up something internally

2. I left the key in the ignition so I could turn the steering side to side. The job took me two days (worked on and off), and I ended up draining the 12V battery.

After finishing the job and jumpstarting the car with a portable jumpstarter, the ABS and Battery System dash lights are on. What I heard (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was that these lights can come on due to a low 12V battery and even when the battery gets charged up they can remain on? I dried disconnecting the 12V battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting. The lights remained on. Is there a way to reset the system? I have no problem replacing the ABS speed sensor, but I wanna make sure that the issue is not related the computer being bezerk after the 12V drain.

(2006 Civic Hybrid)

Thanks all!
Old 09-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ABS and Brake System dashlights on after changing LCA's and draining battery

Have you driven the car on the road yet? Drive it first, see if warning lights go out.

Low voltage code will stay in memory unless erased, but the warning light will be OFF after normal voltage is restored to the system and the key is cycled.

A wheel speed sensor fault (open/short code) is quite likely, seeing as how you stressed the wire and disturbed a sensor.

You can try reading flash codes from the ABS warning light using the SCS jumper method.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aminus21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ABS and Brake System dashlights on after changing LCA's and draining battery

Thanks ezone!

I left the battery disconnected for about 6 hours to make sure I cleared the system. I then drove around for 20 minutes and both dash-lights are still on.

Any DIY for the SCS method? I remember reading that I connect a paper clip between two points in a harness under the dash?
Old 09-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aminus21
Thanks ezone!

I left the battery disconnected for about 6 hours to make sure I cleared the system. I then drove around for 20 minutes and both dash-lights are still on.

Any DIY for the SCS method? I remember reading that I connect a paper clip between two points in a harness under the dash?
Disconnecting the battery doesn't erase stored fault data (EEPROM)

Wheel speed sensor continuity checks may be completed by the ABS unit while the car is sitting still.
Wheel speed sensor activity is checked by the time the car reaches about 10 MPH, and continuously during driving.
(If the warning light had been on because the front wheels had been spinning in the air, driving with all 4 on the ground would have the lights turned out by about 10MPH, but fault data may still be stored until erased with a scanner)

On a car that new the SCS circuits were moved into the OBD2 diagnostic connector.
Terminal 9 (orange wire?) is the SCS circuit, jumper that to either terminal 4 or 5 (both are grounds, black wires)

I'm not sure if I have much info on flash codes, because the scanner is the preferred diag tool.

HTH