Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

whistling noise now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carlaupl is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy whistling noise now car won't start

Hello All- newbie here

I'm experiencing some real difficulty diagnosing my issue with my 2010 Honda Civic - it started about 2mo ago when I went to get in my car and all my instrument panel lights were off and my car was completely dead - (the day before my car drove fine as usual) - got my car jumped started and figured I needed to replace the battery since it was approx. 2yrs old....FYI - when I was getting my car was jumped, it started right up but within 5 mins of warming up, a loud whistling noise started and what looked like smoke was actually feron spraying out of some kind of valve near my A/C compressor - everything still was running normally with car and I had no warning lights on.. I proceeded with getting a new battery and car seemed fine but losing feron had me worried so I took it to my mechanic who confirmed that the release happened due to my car being completely dead and there was pressure built up in the compressor, so as a safety mechanism, it released the feron because there was no place for it to go...He check my alternator and add feron back into the system and off i went into the sunset....

2 WEEKS LATER - I'm sitting in Starbucks drive thru when whistling noise come back and feron is spraying out from under my hood so it looks like my car is overheating - still no warning lights and car is idling very low, like it wants to die - I get out of the drive thru - turn car off. Wait about 5 mins - turn on car and runs fine to get me home - figured in the AM, I will go back to mechanic to see why this happened again. Get out in the AM-**car dead**..now I'm really tripping because I know it can't be the battery I just got replaced, so I know something else is going on... Get car jumped again and return back to mechanic who says my car released the feron again but he checked out the fans which are working and my alternator which had good voltage and he thinks it may be my A/C compressor because he hears a little rattling noise... He told me NOT to use my A/C and he wouldn't be able to diagnose anything until the weather warms up to see if my compressor fan stops working... **HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF SUCH NONSENSE** - I live in So. Cal and it's like 90's - I can't go without my A/C plus my car has been running fine, the only thing different was the A/C wasn't as cold as it was before this nightmare started...it takes it longer to get cold too..**BUT WHY IS MY CAR DYING**

*LAST NIGHT* - crazy whistling noise came back while idling in a washing car drive thru - did it 2 times - for 3-5 seconds...turned off air, car is still running fine - no warning lights and drove fine home....Came out in the AM -- ***CAR IS DEAD AGAIN***....Can anyone shed so light or words of wisdom??

Clueless in Cali
Old 05-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: whistling noise now car won't start

The compressor clutch relay is stuck on, causing the compressor to run all the time the engine is running.

Remove the relay so it can't kill the battery and lets the compressor shut off.

After the relay is replaced (with an updated part) you'll need to have the AC recharged or topped off.

Search this site for 'MITSUBA' to get the Honda part number of the updated relay you will need to purchase,

and maybe 'ac stuck on' and look for the years 06 to 10 to find the fusebox diagram showing where thehe clutch relay is located in your car

I'm on a phone, it's not easy to link all this stuff for you.
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

thanks for you effort - i really appreciate your time..all mighty honda guru...please dont take that remark in a bad way ok
Old 05-29-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did you find the info?

Order the updated relay at any Honda or Acura dealer......
Honda part # 39794-SDA-A05, brand name is Mitsuba.

(The original troublesome relay brand name is Omron, there are many of this brand used for various systems all over the car but it's usually only a problem when used for the AC compressor clutch.)

Clutch relay is position #12 in the pic below
Remove the relay to disable the compressor and it will stop killing the battery
Replace with new whenever you can pick one up from a dealer.

Old 05-30-2016
Registered!!

I can't thank you enough for leading me in the right direction - i ordered the part and hopefully once I receive it - i can have my mechanic help me install this relay...You make it look so simple so I might just give it a shot myself...I will keep you posted with my results.. Thanks again for a forum like this otherwise I would still be clueless...
Old 05-30-2016

i can have my mechanic help me install this relay...You make it look so simple so I might just give it a shot myself...
It's stupid simple.

If the old relay doesn't pull out easily, I might grab the top of it with pliers to wiggle and pull on it.
New relay will slide right in.

The bottom of the relay looks like this
Old 06-03-2016
Registered!!

Hello - I got the part today - I'm ready to install it on Mon. and replenish my A/C - can't wait !!! It's been torture without the A/C...I'll make sure to send out an update once work is done. Thanks again for all the help - I'm a single parent on a tight budget and without your help, I would have been stuck seeking out mechanics and probably wasting a lot of money that I don't have. Since I'm no longer clueless in Cali - I can go back to being moody in Cali...
Old 06-03-2016

You might want to let a pro take care of recharging the freon after you get the new relay installed.

To add to that issue, Hondas service info states the pressure relief valve should be replaced (that's where the cloud of refrigerant blew out of)......but experience says it may be OK with the original left in place and just recharging to replace the lost freon. If the valve becomes a leak issue in the future it would need replaced.
Old 06-04-2016
Registered!!

my mechanic has bankers hours and isn't open on the weekends (can't blame him), so Mon. is the soonest he could get me in.. he isn't charging me for adding the feron since he just put it in 3wks ago thank god..i can't wait to have A/C.. i'm spoiled like that I guess...don't care what I drive as long as I got A/C. Mon. can't come soon enough..

Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

**update*** just wanted to say my car is working great - i have cold A/C and haven't had it die on me... thanks again for helping me figure out what was going on..hope u get a woody knowing u know ur ****...thank again !

Old 06-11-2016

thanks again for helping me figure out what was going on..
YW.
hope u get a woody knowing u know ur ****
ROFL....
Some people have remarked that I'm surprisingly humble in real life.
Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

Well, Mr. Humble if you ever make it out to wonderful, cool Cali...make sure to hit me a message so I can buy you a beverage of your choice.. you so deserve it !!

Old 06-11-2016

Shoulda caught me a little earlier, I was in LA in January.
Old 06-11-2016
Registered!!

Total bummer...I'm about 45mins outside LA area too...well hopefully there will be a next time... there's always Vegas baby....!!!!