Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help me figure out what caused these scratches!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RhondaCivic06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Please help me figure out what caused these scratches!

Hi everyone!

I own a navy blue 2006 Honda Civic and I am trying to figure out what caused these intense surface scratches on the front passenger's side door on my vehicle that appeared sometime this past week, though I just noticed them yesterday. I am positive I did not go too long without realizing them because every few days when I am not in a rush, I'll go over my car with the flashlight on my phone and look over every square inch of it and see if I have anything new that needs to be buffed out or whatever.

Background information:
In the past week I did not park near shrubbery or anything that could cause abrasion to the car on windy days.
I parked in a total of four lots and spent the most time in the parking lot a little ways behind the restaurant where I work.
I recently had a falling out with several staff members at my job, leading me to believe this could be intentional (they know what I drive and where I park it)
I am not aware of any animals coming up to the car.
I had one other passenger in my car and she did not roll the window down, so this was not caused by someone hanging their arm out the window and having pointed jewelry.
These are ALL surface scratches in the clear coat, there don't seem to be any that took off paint. I really don't think a key was used.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and could offer a potential explanation for how these scratches might come about unintentionally, and if you guys agree that it might be intentional, what you think was used to make them? I am going to the USPS that the lot is directly behind tomorrow and asking if they would be willing to pull camera surveillance footage for me, but I don't know if I would have the clearance to do that without police authorization, let alone if they have a camera that overlooks that lot at all.

I am so distraught over this. I'm really hoping someone can offer some insight. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	673.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	88678

Click image for larger version

Name:	674 (2).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	88679
Old 04-05-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Please help me figure out what caused these scratches!

Have you gotten your car washed lately?
Old 04-05-2016
Registered!!

RhondaCivic06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I went, it was over a month ago at a touchless wash, but I have gotten some unsightly swirl marks from going to washes before so I did consider that. Unfortunately these appeared too recently for that to be the cause /:
Old 04-06-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Dog, looking in the window at its reflection

The fact that they are all vertical tells you that you didn't drive up against something. But a dog with 4 toes per foot can do these in a few minutes.
Old 04-06-2016
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Doesn't look like the scratches are too far into the paint, mainly clear coat.

I use "Mother's Scratch Remover" for those kinds of scratches. It isn't magic, doesn't do a perfect job, but for $5-$10 it isn't too bad.
Old 04-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Scratches do suck! Turtle Wax Foam n' Shine sold at Pep Boys works quite well and has removed numerous scratches from my car. For a serious wax Meguiar's Gold Class Carbauba Plus works welll. Keeps my old 06 EX looking decent, after 10 years in the scorching Texas heat it really needs a re painting.