Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Speedometer and odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
des9994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Speedometer and odometer not working

I have a 2006 Honda Civic LX.

It just started happening, but when I'm driving the speedometer will start showing random numbers and then go to 0, when this happens my odometer stops counting my kilometres. (I should mention that my gauges are digital!!)

My RPM still works normal but I've noticed a couple of times since this started that my fuel gauge will vary and not show the actual amount.

Any one else ever have an issue like this or know what may be up? My first thought was a sensor.

Last edited by des9994; 02-27-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speedometer and odometer not working

My first thought was a sensor.
Sensor? Oh no. Not that simple LOL.

While it is acting up, can you smack the top of the dash over the gauges with your hand or smack the gauges and see any effect at all (get better or get worse)?
If you can do that, that instantly narrows down the possibilities to the dash area.
If you can narrow that down to either pod (tach or speedo), that helps more.

I think it sounds like a speedo pod problem-- but that unit gets its info (operating data) from the tach, which collects data from the PCM and the rest of the car over several computer networks.

I'd want to check for fault codes in ALL computer systems in the car before disturbing stuff.
I'd want to look at live operating data to see if it is correct within the PCM and if it might be getting corrupted on its way to the gauge control module (tach unit)...or the speedo/fuel/coolant module.

Disconnect and reconnect the harness plugs on the tach and on the speedo units.
If the problem disappears then you might be dealing with a poor connection in the data bus circuits.

If the issue lies within one of the gauge pods and smacking either one has zero effect and unplug-replug does nothing, it may be next to impossible to tell which module is causing the problems without doing some swapping from a known good car.
Old 03-31-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary Blackman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Sensor? Oh no. Not that simple LOL.

While it is acting up, can you smack the top of the dash over the gauges with your hand or smack the gauges and see any effect at all (get better or get worse)?
If you can do that, that instantly narrows down the possibilities to the dash area.
If you can narrow that down to either pod (tach or speedo), that helps more.

I think it sounds like a speedo pod problem-- but that unit gets its info (operating data) from the tach, which collects data from the PCM and the rest of the car over several computer networks.

I'd want to check for fault codes in ALL computer systems in the car before disturbing stuff.
I'd want to look at live operating data to see if it is correct within the PCM and if it might be getting corrupted on its way to the gauge control module (tach unit)...or the speedo/fuel/coolant module.

Disconnect and reconnect the harness plugs on the tach and on the speedo units.
If the problem disappears then you might be dealing with a poor connection in the data bus circuits.

If the issue lies within one of the gauge pods and smacking either one has zero effect and unplug-replug does nothing, it may be next to impossible to tell which module is causing the problems without doing some swapping from a known good car.
Did you get any joy with fixing this? I currently have exactly the same issue after having a service.
all that was done was new filters and oil and now the dash is useless!

i know the guys had to remove the battery to get to some of the filters

cheers
Old 04-05-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary Blackman

i know the guys had to remove the battery to get to some of the filters

cheers
Hm. GB. Probably not identical cars as ours, but here's some thoughts:
Return immediately to the shop. "Ever since you......"

Check all fuseboxes for blown fuses.. Over here (US) I'd expect almost any recent car to have at least 2 fuseboxes, or more.

And they messed with the battery.
Microprocessors can do weird things due to voltage fluctuations and spikes. Might try this universal power reboot, of sorts

(if the radio will lock, make sure you have the code to unlock it)

Disconnect the battery cables
open the doors and trunk (boot?) lid
wait 20 minutes
close the doors and trunk then reconnect battery cables
Start engine, see if it works now

If that helps, fantastic. If not, it didn't cost anything to try it.