Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2009 Civic LX-S - hesitation / sluggish / rough idle

Old 12-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slantedview is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Civic LX-S - hesitation / sluggish / rough idle

My 2009 Civic LX-S, automatic, has about 60k miles on it, and lately it's been pretty sluggish, hesitates when accelerating, and idles a bit rough (maybe this is a motor mount problem? Not sure). The car still gets me from point A to B, but it definitely isn't running as good as it did. My first thought was to change some of the basic stuff, plugs, cap, wires, fuel filter, but searching around it's not clear that these things are supposed to be changed this early.

Any tips?

Last edited by slantedview; 12-19-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2009 Civic LX-S - hesitation / sluggish on hills

What maintenance did you do so far?
Old 12-19-2015
Registered!!

Re: 2009 Civic LX-S - hesitation / sluggish on hills

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
What maintenance did you do so far?
Thanks for the response.

I haven't done anything specific for this problem yet. So far I've done what the maintenance minder has called for over the life of the car - oil changes, air filter, brakes, along with transmission fluid. The plugs, wires, cap, fuel filter, etc., are all original. I'm assuming there are some basic tune-up type of things I can do myself, so I'm hoping to get some advice here.

Last edited by slantedview; 12-19-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2009 Civic LX-S - hesitation / sluggish / rough idle

Check engine light? Codes?

Crummy or damaged air filter or the air box lid isn't secured correctly, now there's a bug stuck in the MAF sensor?

I'd like to see you TRY to find a distributor, distributor cap and rotor, or plug wires on that engine.

Plugs=100k interval

Fuel filter is built into the tank/pump unit. No service interval, it's an "as needed" basis.

The typical motor mount problem is a harsh vibration or rumble noise, but does not affect performance in the least.
Old 12-19-2015
Registered!!

No CELs.

Wrong wording with the cap - I guess I was thinking coil set I can see wires going to the plugs - are they not replaceable?

Re: the motor mounts, I am definitely having some harsh rumbling at idle - it's just hard to tell if it's because there's something wrong with the engine or the mounts.

Edit: I just pulled off the airbox. The box and the filter are clean as a whistle. I *think* the thing mounted to the inside top of the air box is the MAF sensor? If so, it's pristine as well.

Last edited by slantedview; 12-19-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong wording with the cap - I guess I was thinking coil set I can see wires going to the plugs - are they not replaceable?
That uses 4 individual ignition coils, one on top of each spark plug. If one were dead you would have corresponding misfire codes.

I *think* the thing mounted to the inside top of the air box is the MAF sensor?
Yes that is the MAF sensor. Held on with 2 screws, I'd remove it and look inside the slots.

Re: the motor mounts, I am definitely having some harsh rumbling at idle - it's just hard to tell if it's because there's something wrong with the engine or the mounts.
Refer to this post, then inspect your engine mount:

Originally Posted by Gunner
common issue with 8th gen..

The engine mount is hydraulic and eventually sags with normal use. When it reaches near the end of its life, the bump stops would start to bottom out and hit each other, transferring engine vibration to the body. The vibration is more pronounced when the engine is cold or when the transmission is on reverse.

Check the spacing between the bump stops... they should be about 1cm or so away from each other.

My old engine mount:

New:
HTH
Old 12-19-2015
Registered!!

Awesome reference on the engine mounts - thanks.

I just pulled the MAF sensor - it looks brand new. Nice and clear.

I also pulled one of the spark plugs just for the heck of it, since I've read of good results from other people with similar symptoms replacing them. I'm not expert at these things, but it doesn't look too bad? See attached picture.

Name:  57B3nu2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  694.7 KB

Not sure what to try next. The stutter problem is really what I want to resolve. It happens almost every time I go up a hill. If I go up a small hill with light throttle the car will start to stutter. If I give it some more throttle I can usually power through the stutter and the car smooths out.

Last edited by slantedview; 12-19-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2015

Plug porcelain and electrodes look perfect in the pic.
Thumb looks dirty.... and do you chew your nails? LOL

If you can keep it stuttering long enough I wonder if it would set a helpful misfire code.
Old 12-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Plug porcelain and electrodes look perfect in the pic.
Thumb looks dirty.... and do you chew your nails? LOL

If you can keep it stuttering long enough I wonder if it would set a helpful misfire code.
I'll try going really light on the throttle to prolong the stutter next time and see if it will throw a code......
Old 12-20-2015

Re: the mounts, browse this thread where those pictures came from and get an idea of when others feel the vibration (Mostly in park, reverse, and deceleration, but usually not while accelerating forward)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/342963-2008-honda-civic-vibrates-parking-reverse-gear.html#post4577741
Old 12-20-2019
Registered!!

Profesor Pmr is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2011 has the same problem. It is not engine mounts. It idles rough and hesitates when i press gas pedal at around 40-45 mph. I have to press the pedal more before the car responds. I have a 2011 LX-S.
Replace the air filter, plugs and tested the MAF sensor. Problem still there.
Old 08-30-2020
Registered!!

634regia is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently, own a 2009 Honda Civic LX-S (5-speed auto) 145.000 miles with the same exact problem. I have been gifted the vehicle from an acquaintance and don't know any maintenance history on the vehicle. Having the same problem as Professor Pmr "It idles rough and hesitates when I press the gas pedal at around 40-45 mph. I have to press the pedal more before the car responds". The only work that's been done on the vehicle by me is an oil change and battery replacement. I will be changing the plugs, filters, and drain/fill the transmission fluid for general maintenance and see if any of that helps. I will re-post on the forum if any of that helps. It would be very helpful if other civic owners/automotively inclined individuals can provide me some advice and point me in a direction. Thanks!