General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Future Civic Owner (hopefully, Pls help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mightbuyacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Future Civic Owner (hopefully, Pls help)

Hey Guys im getting rid of my 4x4 truck and im looking to purchase a honda civic. Im checking out a 2007 Civic Ex Coupe manual with 117k. they have it listed for 6800. is this pretty fair and are there any common problems or issues i should look for when inspecting it? i know nothing about civic so anything will help!!!
Old 09-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dlayman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Future Civic Owner (hopefully, Pls help)

Originally Posted by mightbuyacivic
Hey Guys im getting rid of my 4x4 truck and im looking to purchase a honda civic. Im checking out a 2007 Civic Ex Coupe manual with 117k. they have it listed for 6800. is this pretty fair and are there any common problems or issues i should look for when inspecting it? i know nothing about civic so anything will help!!!
You kind of need to do your own homework on this one. Plenty of websites will give you fair market value for the car, given its age, mileage, and general condition. If you're not a car expert, it pays to take to an independent ethnic and have him inspect and assess the car. If he finds any problems, it will give you negotiating power with the seller, or if it's something very serious, you can walk away from the deal. It also pays to see what service records are available for the car, and check carfax, although often it doesn't include much. That car has plenty of miles left in it, assuming it has been maintained, I'd be more concerned with any rust if you live in the snow belt. Several fairly important maintenance things should have been done by now- spark plug change, coolant change, transmission fluid change, valve clearances inspected. That adds up to probably $500 or so, so try to make sure they have been done.
Old 09-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: Future Civic Owner (hopefully, Pls help)

As dlayman states maintenance records are important. Consumer reports has good reliability data I have found to be quite accurate and is what I will use before my next vehicle purchase. Throttling it hard in first gear then quickly letting off the gas will produce a puff of blue smoke if the engine has significant issues (burning oil). A friend needs to watch this from the street as you pass by. With a bright light check all engine and transmission areas for signs of leaks. Check connection points of body panels, if differences in paint are noted it has likely been in a wreak.