Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2008 Civic LX Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bowie is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face 2008 Civic LX Won't Start

Hello, everyone.

I am new to the forums. I've had this problem a couple of times before. Both times it happened when my girlfriend was using the car to listen to music or charge our phones when camping. This time I'm told the brights were left on for 3 hours, and it won't start. Each time it was resolved by getting a boost, but this time it won't be an option until the AM and I may have to actually pay for a boost.

I'm hoping not to get taken advantage of by a mechanic or the dealership so it'd be great if anyone could shed light on what the specific problem might be or the best way to handle it.

The lights in the dash and the headlamps/brights work just fine, but the car won't start. I'm sure another boost would do the trick, but is this indicative of some greater problem with the car?

I bought it used in 2013 and otherwise, it's been rock solid!

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2008 Civic LX Won't Start

The lights in the dash and the headlamps/brights work just fine, but the car won't start.
Lights stay bright even when you try to crank it?

Auto trans: Put the shifter in neutral and try cranking it?
Manual trans: Pull the floormats out from under the clutch pedal and crank it?

Cable connections on the positive battery post clean and tight?

Starter not engaging.....may need a starter?
Twist the key 200 times, maybe it's got one last start left in it....
Old 09-08-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of sound does the car make when you try and start it?
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

bowie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
What kind of sound does the car make when you try and start it?
The dash lights flicker and it makes a sound like a dollar bill counting machine.
Old 09-08-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The batteries are pretty light duty, & key at II draws a good chunk. Charge will drop quicker then you think.

If you deep cycle it a couple times it could kill it.
Old 09-08-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a battery issue to me
Old 09-08-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bowie
The dash lights flicker and it makes a sound like a dollar bill counting machine.
Odd description LOL

Get some jumper cables connected to a good battery or running car, will it crank?
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Is it just a single click?
Thats what my 2006 sounded like when the starter went bad...

Lights and all were good, but turn the key and it was a click with nothing happening on the engine.

Supposedly you can sometimes get one last start out of it by giving the starter a wack with something hard. I tried, but it didn't work for me...worth a shot though, I had to spend $80 for towing.
Old 09-08-2015

The starter is not in an easy place to reach to smack it.
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
The starter is not in an easy place to reach to smack it.
Learned that first hand...
Was planning on trying to replace it myself when it went.
As soon as I found the thing I realized it was not the job for me lol.
(I was able to hit it by crawling underneath and using the bar for the jack)
Didn't end up doing anything though :/
Old 09-08-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Go to a shop and get the battery and alternator tested.

or if you have a multimeter test them your self.

the batter should read 11.5-12.5V while shut off, if the alternator is working this will crank up about 2 volts when running in idle. If you start the vehicle and your battery voltage drops, your alternator is most likely toast.

if your battery has a low voltage reading while the ignition is off, it may be your battery or it may be that the charge is so low that it is also showing lower voltage.

Either way if you start it and the battery drops in voltage the alternator is probably your best bet.
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

Bamat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... What is the sound when you Crank, and the engine turn over or not?