Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Drained battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcollins is an unknown quantity at this point
Drained battery

I have a 2010 civic. After hitting a pothole the A/C and valve were malfunctioning. The shop says both need replacing. My issue is now the battery has a slow drain. If I disconnect the battery it holds a charge. If I leave it connected its drained the next morning. Is it a coincidence it all happened at exactly the same time. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Drained battery

Locate the problem by connecting a light bulb between the negative terminal and the ground. Start pulling out the fuses one by one observing the bulb
Originally Posted by mcollins
I have a 2010 civic. After hitting a pothole the A/C and valve were malfunctioning. The shop says both need replacing. My issue is now the battery has a slow drain. If I disconnect the battery it holds a charge. If I leave it connected its drained the next morning. Is it a coincidence it all happened at exactly the same time. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the compressor clutch relay is stuck on. If true, there is no need to replace the compressor.

This stuck relay keeps the compressor clutch engaged and can definitely drain the battery overnight, and it can also cause the system to 'burp' out a cloud of freon because the radiator fans are not running and system pressure got too high.

If the system has vented in such a manner, the relief valve is supposed to get replaced (system needs the freon pulled out to replace the valve, then vacuum and recharged).

The root cause is usually the bad clutch relay, Honda has an updated part available.
If needed, I can get you the part numbers for both the valve and the updated relay.

HTH
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcollins is an unknown quantity at this point

I put in a $7 dollar relay almost a week ago and things have been fine. I really appreciate the help. Thank you.