Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2007 Honda Civic Cranking but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jfetter is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Honda Civic Cranking but wont start

Ok so here is my problem. Thursday I go get my car inspected and had them do an oil change because I was lazy. I get the car back, drive all over, making stops. Car works fine. Friday morning, turn key, cranks but doesnt start. Lights in car work, the battery light is on. I just replaced the battery about 10 months ago. I cant figure this out at all. Please help.
Old 03-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Honda Civic Cranking but wont start

the battery light is on. I just replaced the battery about 10 months ago.
Battery light can stay on as long as the engine is not running, it's indicating the alternator is not yet charging the battery and it can't do that until the engine runs.

cranks but doesnt start.
When you turn on the ignition: Does the green key symbol come on then go out after about 2 seconds, or does it flash rapidly?
Old 03-22-2015
Registered!!

jfetter is an unknown quantity at this point

the green key light goes on for a quick second when i go to start the car.
Also
Yesterday after work was able to use a spray from a can of starting fluid to get the car to start for a minute before it died down. So that means that it does have spark.
To me its something fuel related like the pump but any advice would be really helpful.
Old 03-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That would seem to indicate "lack of fuel" is the problem. Do you live where there could be mice?

I'd plug in my scanner and do some code checking and see if anything stands out as wrong while reading live engine operating data.....and if nothing is obvious then move to the hard testing.....

I wouldn't expect the fuel pump itself to be bad....

PCM turns on the "PGMFI main relay #2" (fuel pump relay) which is in the dash fuse box (above the fuses, above the wiring, at the very top of the box...center relay). That supplies power to the pump, and pump ground is bolted under the drivers seat.

Listen closely for the pump to run for 2 seconds when you first turn the key on (it's not loud at all but it should run). If no, then....

I'd check for power and ground TO the pump:
I'd probably first pull the pump relay and check continuity/resistance of the pump circuit (ohm test from pump power feed terminal to ground, make sure it isn't an open circuit).

OR remove back seat, check power and ground at the top of the tank....

Rodents love to eat wires and they can reach the top of the tank and eat the pump wiring.

(Does the gas gauge read what you think it should read?)

I just happen to have a couple pics of rodent damage from dang new car, IIRC this was a 13 or 14 Civic with very low mileage. Getting access to the pump area in a 2007 should be very similar to this:

Name:  YLsSMaN.jpg
Views: 3559
Size:  760.5 KB

Name:  SteG6YE.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  763.3 KB

HTH
Old 08-26-2021
Registered!!

Johnnyblaze757 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jfetter
the green key light goes on for a quick second when i go to start the car.
Also
Yesterday after work was able to use a spray from a can of starting fluid to get the car to start for a minute before it died down. So that means that it does have spark.
To me its something fuel related like the pump but any advice would be really helpful.
Did you ever figure it out? Mine is doing same thing and no clue why
Old 08-26-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Johnnyblaze757
Did you ever figure it out? Mine is doing same thing and no clue why
Have you tried any of the suggestions in the thread yet?
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (08-27-2021)