Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Transmission problem

Old 03-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shrader335 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission problem

I have a 2007 Honda civic and yesterday i was driving and went to shift into second and it went in gear just fine but then pushed itself out of gear and started grinding really bad. The. It was working but it would get stuck in second to the point that I had to push with a decent amount of force to get it out. Now it won't engage in gear at all it just grinds really bad. Could it be my synchro has gone out? And if so do I have to pull the engine to get to it? Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
Perfectionist (06-28-2020)
Old 03-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission problem

1) Fluid checks

2) Verify external shifter linkages and cables still work correctly and have full movement. No broken cables, etc.

3) Change lever assembly

If all that is still working right, then you're probably looking at pulling the trans out and going inside to repair whatever damage it has.

2nd gear syncro, 2nd gear, sleeve and hub, etc.
Old 03-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Ezone, on the older American manual transmission, the shift hub had three internal slots with three small harden keys with a small V tab in the middle of the key. There was a small diameter spring wire ring that put tension on the keys. When the shift fork moved the hub over and the syncro (basically a small taper brake type ring) engaged the drive hub and those 3 keys actually are what held the drive hub in with those small V notches in a V groove. (all gear teeth are always engaged except for reverse..the hub is what engages the gear range to the shaft) anyway, my question is what exactly holds a Honda manual gear in. I cannot find a break down of the syncro hub. Is it the ball in the groove of the sliding shift rod that runs inside the transmission or keys in the shift hub.
Old 03-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Ezone, on the older American manual transmission, the shift hub had three internal slots with three small harden keys with a small V tab in the middle of the key. There was a small diameter spring wire ring that put tension on the keys. When the shift fork moved the hub over and the syncro (basically a small taper brake type ring) engaged the drive hub and those 3 keys actually are what held the drive hub in with those small V notches in a V groove. (all gear teeth are always engaged except for reverse..the hub is what engages the gear range to the shaft) anyway, my question is what exactly holds a Honda manual gear in. I cannot find a break down of the syncro hub. Is it the ball in the groove of the sliding shift rod that runs inside the transmission or keys in the shift hub.
It's a manual trans. The design is functionally similar to almost any other.

Honda may use some syncros with carbon lined friction surfaces and dual cones, but I think the trans in this one is more typical with what most others have inside.

------------------------------

If the problem is determined to be internal to the transmission, I'd usually expect to see a problem inside like: little to no clearance between blocker ring and gear or a cracked blocker ring, along with damaged teeth on the sliding hub and correcponding damage to the small pentagon shaped teeth on the gear itself.

If the car is driven hard by a "kid" who thinks "racecar" I might get to find some other spectacular damage like a bent shift fork or something.

Random Google Images of random trans parts:

Old 06-28-2020
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Perfectionist is an unknown quantity at this point

If you end up taking apart the transmission, please post pics. I'm curious to learn more as I'm locked out of 1st and 2nd gear in my 2004 manual civic. I have my transmission taken apart as we speak.

Update: Disregard haha didnt look that this was posted 5 years ago.
Old 06-29-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,120 Likes on 935 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Also a completely different trans