Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2006 1.6 coolant leak: Not cracked block

Old 12-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slowstepper is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 1.6 coolant leak: Not cracked block

New here, hoping I can pick someones brain. Have a 2006 LX, bought it new, now has 200,000 miles, never had a single issue. So all of a sudden it is leaking coolant.

I immediately thought cracked block, but when I traced it down, its coming from the back of the engine (up against the fire wall.) you can see in the photos the thin plate with numbers on it, and the coolant is leaking out from the "nub" on the left side.
I have no idea what this is for, or even what its called, and so far i have not found a schematic that shows the part. I am wondering if its hondas version of a freeze plug.

The coolant starts leaking immediately on starting the car. I suspect i loosen the 2 bolts, that would allow the metal strip with its fittings to be pulled out , and replaced?

Name:  06civicleak.jpg
Views: 7583
Size:  89.7 KB
Name:  06civicleak2.jpg
Views: 6168
Size:  87.7 KB

Thanks in advance for any information or advise you can offer!
Merry Christmas!
slowstepper

Last edited by slowstepper; 12-16-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 12-16-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2006 1.6 coolant leak: Not cracked block

Grab some good pictures.
Old 12-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Post the pics!
Use a pic hosting site, click this icon () above the text box, and post the links here.

Block is covered for 10 years/unlimited mileage if the VIN inquiry says so.
Old 12-16-2014
Registered!!

OK thanks guys, i posted 2 photos into the original post. looks like its some sort of number tag, that may be serving some dual role, maybe like a freeze plug? anyway, please take a look at the photos and see if you can enlighten me! thanks
Old 12-16-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I tried to locate that on my 2010 and could not, you might join the 8th gen Civic site and post the pictures there.

Maybe ezone will chime back in.
Old 12-16-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A North American 2006 Civic has a 1.8 liter engine, not a 1.6.

The green thing held on with rivets is the VIN tag for the engine (and those aren't really rivets, they are breakaway screws).

There is no freeze plug in the area.

There is nothing with coolant ANYWHERE near that VIN tag.

If coolant is coming down from where the starter is, that's most likely a cracked block

Don't f*** with anything. Go directly to your dealership! ASAP!

Name:  r182.jpg
Views: 7521
Size:  39.5 KB

The red squiggly lines are where the cracks will be up behind the starter.

There can also be cracks behind the black cover, but the coolant will go into the engine oil if that happens.

Hope your VIN report is clear and valid for this repair!

EDIT: Here's a pic of the real thing that was leaking coolant from cracks behind the starter

Name:  jlnzAKkl.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  77.2 KB
Old 12-17-2014
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone, It took me a day, but I did figure out it was a 1.8. Thanks for the help on that. And also since I could not see any reason coolant would be coming from the attachments, I figured most likely source was the cracked block. Went in and talked to the dealer, looks like the block has been reported cracking just above the starter, which could easily run down and show up where I saw it. Car is scheduled to go in to the dealer on friday morning.

Funny thing, I was getting ready to sell the vehicle, but now, with Honda redoing the paint and if it does the new motor, I'll just keep it and run it to 350 - 400 thousand.

Originally Posted by ezone
A North American 2006 Civic has a 1.8 liter engine, not a 1.6.

The green thing held on with rivets is the VIN tag for the engine (and those aren't really rivets, they are breakaway screws).

There is no freeze plug in the area.

There is nothing with coolant ANYWHERE near that VIN tag.

If coolant is coming down from where the starter is, that's most likely a cracked block

Don't f*** with anything. Go directly to your dealership! ASAP!

The red squiggly lines are where the cracks will be up behind the starter.

There can also be cracks behind the black cover, but the coolant will go into the engine oil if that happens.

Hope your VIN report is clear and valid for this repair!

EDIT: Here's a pic of the real thing that was leaking coolant from cracks behind the starter

Old 12-17-2014

Originally Posted by slowstepper
with Honda redoing the paint and if it does the new motor
Nice deal on the paint huh?

If the cylinder head was not harmed by overheating, it will get a block, crank, and pistons and whatever gaskets are necessary to do the job.

I'll just keep it and run it to 350 - 400 thousand.
Service the auto trans fluid religiously (every 30k or even more frequently) and it may make it that far with little trouble.
Old 12-20-2014
Registered!!

Ok guys, thanks for all the help. Honda confirmed this morning it was indeed the cracked block. so an 8 year old car with 206,000 miles is being covered under warantee, pretty remarkable, and this 6 months after they repainted the car.

In my opinion that is spectacular customer service. In fact within 2 hours of them confirming the crack, and that it will be covered, I went in and bought my wife a new CRV for Christmas! damned fine automobile company!