Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

change the automatic transmission fluid?

Old 11-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhvic is an unknown quantity at this point
change the automatic transmission fluid?

My 2008 Civic DX has very low mileage, under 35000 km to be sure. However, the automatic transmisssion fluid is still the original.

Any views on whether one should change this fluid more frequently, as in every two years or so? Also, I presume the fluid change includes pan removal, new filter, etc. Would that be the usual service rather than just drain and replace fluid?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: change the automatic transmission fluid?

The maintenance minder system.....I can't tell you when it would want you to change the trans fluid.

At work we recommend trans fluid service every 30,000 miles. (What's that, about 50k km to you?)
I do my own more frequently than that.

It's a simple drain and fill. About 2.5-3 quarts. It's almost easier than an oil change.

There is no pan to drop. There is an inline filter mounted on the back of the trans case, but we (where I work) don't replace that with routine fluid services. Some people do replace it though.

HTH
Old 11-16-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Get it done due to age, the MM will be pretty much useless with low mileage use.... and even with normal use waits until almost 60k.

Much too long for me.
Old 11-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CraigW
Get it done due to age, the MM will be pretty much useless with low mileage use.... and even with normal use waits until almost 60k.

Much too long for me.
Change mine at 25K miles, measured amount removed and replaced with Honda ATF. In the volume range noted. Didn't know about the inline filter will have to check my car for this. ATF is cheap trannys aren't.
Old 11-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhvic is an unknown quantity at this point

I dropped into my Honda dealer last week and asked the service people about changing the automatic transmission fluid on my 2008 Civic with 35,000km. The service rep pointed out a chart they use, which states that the fluid should be serviced between 35,000km and 100,000km - and no need to change it every two years! With my low mileage, he recommended not doing anything at this time, even though nothing has been done to it for about 7 years.

So, I guess I'll leave it as it is for now. I'll continue to check the fluid level, and montior the smell of the fluid to try to detect any problems which might be forming.
Old 11-23-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CraigW
Get it done due to age, the MM will be pretty much useless with low mileage use....
Originally Posted by rhvic
With my low mileage, he recommended not doing anything at this time, even though nothing has been done to it for about 7 years.
OK, go with that then.........is your brake fluid that old as well ??

It's a drain and fill, cheap insurance to me.
Old 11-23-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

One guy I work with picked up an Accord of the 98-02 variety a few years ago. Well known for trans disasters.

He changes trans fluid every time it goes up on a hoist.
Old 11-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
One guy I work with picked up an Accord of the 98-02 variety a few years ago. Well known for trans disasters.

He changes trans fluid every time it goes up on a hoist.
The reason I change my fluid every 25K miles is that just draining and replacing the fluid doesn't get most of the fluid that is in the torque converter which doesn't seem to have an external access window and drain plug, like some older vehicles I've worked on.
Old 11-25-2014

Originally Posted by 06 EX Mild Mods
torque converter ...... drain plug, like some older vehicles I've worked on.
RWD Fords were the last ones I remember dealing with that had a converter drain plug.
TCC shudder? A case of Mercon-V and a filter would fix it for a long time. Reusable pan gasket FTW